Extract Recipe advice (Cream of 3 Crops Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royal1911

Reaction score
I want to brew something tonight but don't have any grains. I do have 2lbs of Light DME, 1/2 lb of Flaked Maize, 1/2 lb instant rice, and lots of partial packs of hops. Basically these are leftovers from past brews. Since I'm a former Mr. Beer brewer I'm going to make a 2.5 gallon batch.

What do you all think of this? It is basically an extract version of the Cream of 3 Crops from BM.

2lbs of Light DME
1/2 lb of Flaked Maize
1/2 lb instant rice

Steep the rice and corn for 30 min at 150 then add the extract and boil for 30 minutes. I'm using Williamette and Crystal for hops, both added at 30 min.

I ended up brewing this on Thursday. I steeped the corn and rice at 155 for 30 minutes. Then boiled for 30 minutes. I added .5 oz of each hops at 30 min and .25 oz of each at 5 minutes. I used the yeast (S-05) from a pale ale that I racked a few hours earlier. I put the fermenter in a swamp cooler at 64 degrees and will ferment for 10 days before racking to a secondary for 5 days.

OK. I didn't do the secondary but did ferment for 10 days. I bottled this beer on Sunday 1/22 and I'm enjoying one with a sandwich right now! This beer is fantastic. I will definately brew this again and share the recipe with my new homebrewer friends at work. Next time I'm going to do a secondary with gelatin and keg it. I now have a temperature controller so I wont have to rely on the swamp cooler anymore.

Latest posts

Back