Bottle conditioning in WARM apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV

Reaction score
I poked around for a bit, checked the FAQs and I don't see this topic addressed (however if any mods know of one off-hand, feel free to link and lock.)

I live in an apartment building in New York City. We don't have many windows, hence not much airflow. It's hot and stuffy, and I have no access to a basement. I recently just bottled my first beer, an American style wheat, and they're sitting in the coolest place I could find. However, coolest place in my apartment means 78 degrees. I was able to keep the temp down in my fermenter by submerging the carboy in a water filled Rubbermaid container and putting a few ice packs in, but with 45 12-oz bottles, I don't think that method is optimal.

So here are my 2 questions:

1) Will the warmer temps negatively impact the beer? I know warmer fermentation temps tend to speed up the process and produce banana-y esters; does the same apply for bottle conditioning?

2) If said warm temperatures are going to make my beer taste really funky, how have other apartment-dwelling brewers overcome this problem?

Don't worry about it. The little amount of fermentation that takes place in the bottle isn't going to cause any noticeable flavors. Since the main fermentation is already done, you don't have to worry too much about temps. Although, I wouldn't leave it in a 100F room, 78F will be fine.

You'll be fine. Heck if it's in the high 70's it may even knock some time off your carbonation/conditioning time. It may be ready in 2 weeks rather than the usual three.

I rotate my bottles behind a dehumidifier, It gets warm behind there, bottles get as hard as a rock in 3 days. Have not noticed any flavor impact.

I second Revvy's notion. I bottled an IPA, and did it with some DME versus corn sugar. I was expecting a delayed carb, but it was around 80 degrees for a couple days in my apt. I cracked one open after under 2 weeks and it was perfect.

Thanks, guys! Guess I need to just repeat Charlie Papazian's mantra...

Back