I built my first Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakeskakes

Reaction score
Photos are worth 1000 words so I'll let the pictures tell the story
IMAG2658_zps22855039.jpg

IMAG2725_zps2f3f32c7.jpg

IMAG2727_zps1e51f976.jpg

IMAG2730_zps3b3fa50d.jpg

IMAG2735_zps8f3da139.jpg

IMAG2764_zps50f675f6.jpg

DSC00443_zps03678010.jpg

DSC00453_zpsf7629123.jpg

DSC00451_zpsb457ac6a.jpg

DSC00447_zpscf84099a.jpg

IMG_7411_zps199e58a8.jpg

I'm curious why you put four faucets on it when it only holds three kegs.
It looks awesome though. I love the tile and the light adds a nice touch.

Beautiful man!

Can you post a picture of the open door from a few steps back?

I love the idea of one of these that is nice enough to work as a piece of furniture and not just be a fridge/freezer with taps on it.

Very good looking unit. A thought came to me this morning. I don't see any ventilation system for heat from the freezer motor. Do you have this built in to prevent over heating and automatic shutdown? Not having the unit snug to the wall could take care of the heat.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It makes all the hard work worth while.

To access the inside, I just slide it away from the wall and lift the top. It has sliding pads underneath.

There are four taps because I will put a 3 gallon corny when I find a good deal. It fits on the hump

Looks really nice! What did you use for ebonizing the wood? The front panel on it is ebonized as well? On one pic, the front looks gray, then on another pic it looks black, then on a third picture it looks tan. Which is it?

Very good looking unit. A thought came to me this morning. I don't see any ventilation system for heat from the freezer motor. Do you have this built in to prevent over heating and automatic shutdown? Not having the unit snug to the wall could take care of the heat.

Theres plenty of Sq.Ft of open space inside the shell of the the keezer. I keep the probe in a water bottle and have it set to max delay on the cycles. It doesn't turn on enough to generate enough heat to become an issue. If you look at the picture of the shell, you will see theres about an 8" gap between the freezer and the side shell walls

That's sweet. I too am curious how you access the inside of the freezer.
I pull it off the wall and open the lid

I'm curious why you put four faucets on it when it only holds three kegs.
It looks awesome though. I love the tile and the light adds a nice touch.
2.5 or 3gallon will be going inside

Beautiful man!

Can you post a picture of the open door from a few steps back?
What are you trying to see, I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked, but I'll do my best to show you what you're trying to see.

Looks really nice! What did you use for ebonizing the wood? The front panel on it is ebonized as well? On one pic, the front looks gray, then on another pic it looks black, then on a third picture it looks tan. Which is it?
It looks grey because it was "flat." It didn't have the poly on it yet.
It looks tan because the tiles on the floor are reflecting in the gloss
It's an "Espresso" color.

I hate people with talent.

If you knew how much extra work and wasted $$ on failed attempts you wouldn't call this talent as much as luck. I learned a lot about a lot of things doing this. Mostly.... the right tools make things better. Do you know how many nails I bent trying to put needle size nails into molding with a hammer. I didn't have a tile cutter so I had to dremel the tiles, I didn't have a table saw so my jig saw lines were never perfect on the paneling.....

Specifically what I am trying to see is how you access the freezer/kegs inside. It doesn't really look like the top is attached to the freezer lid.

Specifically what I am trying to see is how you access the freezer/kegs inside. It doesn't really look like the top is attached to the freezer lid.

I built the keezer lid with little "blocks" in the corners. I affixed it with industrial strength lock-tite.

When I get home I will see if i can get a good picture from the underside :mug:

Agree on the comment for plans if you have em. I'd love to replicate something like that.

Sorry, I wish I had some plans for you but it was kind of a build as I go project. I had an idea in my head, and since home depot is across the street I was able to just come and go as I pleased, no need for drawn up plans.

The only real measurements were for the top. I knew the area it had to fit in, and went from there. The foot print wasn't as important.

Basically, I built a box around my freezer, and some edges on my lid. I probably spent 3 extra days and 20% more than I had to just because of trial and error, but to be honest I'm glas it went that way. I could easily build another in half the time for half the price.

My biggest hold up was deciding what tiles, and laying the tile since I had never done it before, and the coffin box.

I built 3 boxes before getting it right. Honestly, a staple gun made it much much much easier to do solo. It gave me a "extra set of hands" to hold the wood together so I could drill it.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you were hoping for more, but unfortunately I don't have anything for you :drunk:

Tell me you live near MKE and want to help me test your half the time statement :)

Sorry, I wish I had some plans for you but it was kind of a build as I go project. I had an idea in my head, and since home depot is across the street I was able to just come and go as I pleased, no need for drawn up plans.

The only real measurements were for the top. I knew the area it had to fit in, and went from there. The foot print wasn't as important.

Basically, I built a box around my freezer, and some edges on my lid. I probably spent 3 extra days and 20% more than I had to just because of trial and error, but to be honest I'm glas it went that way. I could easily build another in half the time for half the price.

My biggest hold up was deciding what tiles, and laying the tile since I had never done it before, and the coffin box.

I built 3 boxes before getting it right. Honestly, a staple gun made it much much much easier to do solo. It gave me a "extra set of hands" to hold the wood together so I could drill it.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you were hoping for more, but unfortunately I don't have anything for you :drunk:

Back