First batch funky taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GouldiLocks

Reaction score
Did my first batch and im getting a funky taste ... its a dark german lager from windriver brewing. An issue arose in the beginning when my liquid wyeast wouldn't swell up when popped. I already started the process so i emailed windriver an d they mailed out a new wyeast right away. Brewing seemed to go very well, lits of bubbles and the beer smelled just amazing. Primed and bottled just about 3 weeks ago now. And im getting a really off taste that idk how to describe. Tastes the same a when i bottled but the off flavor is far less strong. Not sure if i need to dump, wait it out or what. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Well, without knowing what the specific off flavor is it's going to be nigh impossible to tell you what the problem is. If you can, have someone else try the beer and see if they can detect and identify the off flavor. Once we know what the off flavor, we'll be much better equipped to help you out.

What was the yeast and the fermentation temperature? If you used a true lager yeast and the fermentation temperature was too high, it could give off flavors.

Absolutely DONT dump it. Most here are gonna ask for much more info, details about your process and recipe details, fermentation temps etch. U need to describe the flavor more too. How long did u ferment, og and fg?

From the start its had a strange almost medicine flavor. Ill look up my note for og and get back to yall

From the start its had a strange almost medicine flavor. Ill look up my note for og and get back to yall

"Almost medicine flavor" makes me think of a couple of things. Once is chlorophenols, which comes from chlorine or chloramines in the brewing water. It has a wet band-aid, or chloroseptic flavor. Another thought could be bitter, like some medicine. It really depends what kind of flavor you're tasting.

Back