Apfelwein Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
Ok - So like many many of you I made two six gallon batches of Ed's Finest... It sat on the yeast cake for the last 8 weeks - fermented out nice and dry at 0.996 or so. No need to sorbate it as I'm not backsweetening. SOOO I needed the carboys for the next batch of Apfelwein (even 2 months young it is decent to drink - I can't wait for the 8-10 month point)!

The question - I racked both batches into 5 gallon kegs and carbonated at 10psi. Now I'm going to age them in the keg. Can they be aged at Lagering temperatures (38F or so)? Has anyone tried this? Is it good, bad, better, worse, indifferent??? Or should I simply leave the kegs at room temperature (low 70's usually) for the next 6-8 months?

Thanks for the assistance!

Ok - So like many many of you I made two six gallon batches of Ed's Finest... It sat on the yeast cake for the last 8 weeks - fermented out nice and dry at 0.996 or so. No need to sorbate it as I'm not backsweetening. SOOO I needed the carboys for the next batch of Apfelwein (even 2 months young it is decent to drink - I can't wait for the 8-10 month point)!

The question - I racked both batches into 5 gallon kegs and carbonated at 10psi. Now I'm going to age them in the keg. Can they be aged at Lagering temperatures (38F or so)? Has anyone tried this? Is it good, bad, better, worse, indifferent??? Or should I simply leave the kegs at room temperature (low 70's usually) for the next 6-8 months?

Thanks for the assistance!

It's up to you! Cider ages slower at colder temperatures, but there are some things that happen at a colder temperature like the "smoothing" out of flavors that are good things as well.

You could try one of each, since you have two kegs. See which way you prefer.

Back