Beer Pump Self Priming, non priming or other options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithchar526

Reaction score
-Short Version -

Pushing hot wort with CO2 ok?

and is there a self priming pump that can handle hot wort? If I need non priming b/c of hot wort which one is best under $175

Any other pros and cons on priming vs non priming?

- Long Version -
Currently I have 2 keggles, 2 burners, 12 corny kegs, a homemade CFC. I am doing 10gal batches and just got done with doing my first all grain batch (BIAB). Each batch I do I run into a complication that I correct for the next batch.

This last batch I did (BIAB) didnt go as smooth as I planned. I had an over flow (my fault got distracted), ripped the bag getting it out of the keggle, which clogged the CFC a little because of a handful of grain. I wasnt happy with the flow rate of the CFC 3/8OD 30ft and not really sure I want to continue with BIAB. So I was going to finish the 2nd keggle to make a mash tun and then add a HLT

With the way things went on my last brew I am ready to buy a pump for more reasons than listed above. What I "think" I want is a self priming pump but I dont really see any that can handle high temps. I thought I could just put the pump at the end of the CFC but that doesn't help with transferring from mash tun to boiling pot. Am I best to just get the March 809 or 815. Right now I am just needing to use this to transfer from Tun to Boil Pot, then though CFC to Corny Keg, (plus for cleaning everything after). What else should I consider that I might be forgetting. The reason I wanted self priming was manly just so I could possible have more uses for it since it should be more flexible in where I put it.

I brew in the garage where I have a sink and have a table that has the burners and kegs on it and another table that has the CFC at the right height to gravity feed into a corny keg. I am thinking of changing this a bit and do something more permanent in the garage against a concrete wall.

I had some other ideas that woundnt involve a pump. It involves using CO2 to transfer everything around and special lid for the boiling pot or just putting wort in corny keg to transfer between pots or though the CFC. Wasnt sure if CO2 would hurt anything

Not sure what I am looking for here just looking for advise or ideas about transferring everything around. I know I want something that moves faster than gravity for both time savings and easier cleaning.

I was trying to make this more of portable system and store in the house when not using everything but I as I said am thinking about building something along a wall in the garage were I can keep most things setup so that could solve some of my issues. Just let me know what you think or if you need any more details on my setup.

everyone wants self-priming, heat tollerant pump, but no one wants to pay for one. you simply can not get a self priming impeller-type pump that will work for hot beer (the impeller pumps that are self priming use a fluid resevoir, which you dont want for food). impeller type pumps are the cheapest because they have very few parts.

you can get a peristaltic pump, which several people use, but those are $$ and the flow rates arent as high. or you have to make your own, which has been done.

the next best thing would be a diaphragm pump. those have considerably lower flow rates but higher head pressures, and are just as expensive.

CO2 for transfering isnt going to work because your boil kettle isnt air tight. and you will be contributing to global warming by exhausting all that CO2, and wasting money.

just make your life easy and buy a march pump, and just be aware of its limitations.

sounds good, that was the answer I was expecting and plan on doing just that. Thanks for the reply....the co2 idea was to either make a lid that clamped on the keggle and add just a few lb of pressure to transfer or gravity transfer to a corny keg and use co2 to push it though the CFC....alot more hassle than it would be worth...Ill just get the pump. I have $75 gift card to amazon so that knocks the price down nicely. I see everyone getting the 809, any benefits to getting any of the other models with what I intend to use it for?

Back