bottling questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrbetz

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch of irish stout on Sunday, I got home from work today and noticed that in a couple bottles there are bubbles at the top. Should I be worried?!

Hi Jr. Probably not, as long as you didn't bottle too early and fermentation was complete, you should be fine.

Also, I'm moving this from the Introductions forum to the Bottling and Kegging forum, where you might get more responses.

I noticed these bubbles in my first bottled batch of Witbier.

My understanding is that when we bottle carb the bottling sugar we add feeds what few yeast are left in suspension and this releases CO2. The CO2 then rises into the head space in the neck of the bottle. When there is no more room in the neck for the CO2 it begins to go back into the beer and becomes suspended in the solution.

I'm not a chemist by any means, but this is what I have read. Perhaps someone has another/a better explanation?

Back