First batch of brew is a hit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappadragon

Reaction score
So I just finished off another one of my home brew from my first batch. Boy is it yummy! So I did the Coopers home brew Lager kit and everything worked out great. I took a few into my buddies at work, one of which is a home brewer and got me into it, and 2 of the 3 people liked it (one has not had his yet). One of the other guys is now thinking of home brewing after tasting one of my beers. Now thats awesome if you ask me. I am already getting ready to place and order from Midwest and my next batch of beer is going to be a Honey Porter. Looking forward to all thing to come. :mug:

Good work! My first batch was so bad I didn't even wanna drink it :)

Good luck on the Honey Porter

Happy you enjoyed it, guess it's nice others did too (I brew for myself mostly) it's nice when you try something and it works out. Convert some more non-brewers! It's my goal as a homebrewer to convert as many as I can... Repent!! Repent all ye sinners! Drinkers of bud, micheloeb, and all things fowl! Repent! Homebrew is the light! Homebrew is the way!

Correction! Make that 3 out of 3 of my co workers liked it :ban::ban:

The only thing one guy said that it could use a bit more carbonation. Now I used the Coopers carbo drops but on my next batch I am going to just do priming sugar and see how it works. Pretty happy things went well and really looking forward to the Honey Porter kit that should be on its way soon.

Thanks to everyone for all the help when I had questions. :mug:

The cooper's carb drops were pretty decent in my 1st OS lager at 3 weeks,but better 4 weeks +. And bulk priming was def faster & better for me! Do it!

Congratulations! Must be a great feeling. My first batch is in the primary right now. I hope I have similar luck!

Question to the OP: I'm also making my first batch with Cooper's Lager kit and when I took a hydrometer reading I tried tasting the beer. It tasted... weird. Not undrinkable, and it tasted like beer, but something seemed off about it.

When I look for reviews on the internet I found a couple of people had encountered the same experience but after they bottled it for 2 weeks it came out fine. Did you try tasting the beer before bottling it?

Most beers will taste "weird" to the new untrained tongue. I thought my IPA was going to be horrible when I sampled, but turned out as the best beer Ive made to date.

True that. To the untrained taste buds,green beer will have all sorts of "off flavors" that aren't really bad off flavors at all. I felt the same about the OS lager kit I got with my cooper's micro brew kit. But,giving it a couple days on the yeast cake,& three weeks on the bottle,it turned out fine. I remember getting some good advice here myself at that point. Good thing I learn fast...Helping is kinda fun.

Question to the OP: I'm also making my first batch with Cooper's Lager kit and when I took a hydrometer reading I tried tasting the beer. It tasted... weird. Not undrinkable, and it tasted like beer, but something seemed off about it.

When I look for reviews on the internet I found a couple of people had encountered the same experience but after they bottled it for 2 weeks it came out fine. Did you try tasting the beer before bottling it?

I tasted it at all points. After making it and after taking the first hydrometer reading I sampled from that and it tasted good but kind of weird. Then I did the same thing for the final reading and again it tasted a little off. But after a few weeks in the bottle it tastes great. I already have the ingredients for my next batch of brew. This time I am not doing a Coopers kit and going for a Honey Porter. I will post about it as it goes as well. :mug:

Back