used carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcody2005

Reaction score
i found a used glass carboy at an ongoing flea market. the stuff they sell is used, usually taken out of houses they clean when an old peron with no next of kin kicks the keg. anyway they had a large glass jug that was probably around 7-8 gallons for sale for 10 bucks. the bottom was frosted and had "1977" cast into it. it was about 1/4 full of potting soil and had a dead plant in it. would it be worth my while to grab it and clean it out? I want to buy a secondary fermentor to larer in but have not yet shopped arround.

If you are doing 5 gallon batches and need a secondary you should get a 5 gallon carboy. 7-9 gallons will leave to much head space. Also if the glass is frosted at the bottom and questionable in anyway I personally wouldnt use it. To much work goes into brewing a batch to wonder if your carboy is ok. Check your LHBS many of them have used carboys for sale for around $10 bucks or so. I just picked up 1 5gallon and 1 6.5gallon carboy for $20 at my LHBS.

I would pass. Who knows where and what it has been through. I would bet if you sneezed near it. It will break. I'm no chemist but I know glass gets brittle with age and exposure.

How much is your time worth for $22 or $23 dollars you can buy a new one. And who knows where this ones been? Actually it's only $17 dollars short of a new one, since you're paying ten dollars for it.:eek:

mcody2005 said:
would it be worth my while to grab it and clean it out? I want to buy a secondary fermentor to larer in but have not yet shopped arround.
For $10? Yes. It's glass and can be cleaned out, regardless if it held potting soil or sulfuric acid. Just make sure you check it over for cracks. Any cracks will eventually lead to failure.

For a secondary? No. Use a smaller, 5 gallon CB.

I'd buy it. You can't have too many CB's and a $10 cash a"7-8 gallon" CB is a good deal. You can always use it for a primary.

LarMoeCur said:
It will break. I'm no chemist but I know glass gets brittle with age and exposure.
Really? I suppose my grandfather should shellout about $15,000 for new windows in the house his grandfather built because they are 90 years old now. And all those old churches should replace their centuries old stained galss windows before they have any lawsuits filed against them.

A 30 year old CB that's been treated with respectand has no cracks or chips in it is most likely going to last longer than the cheap garbage glass imported now from Mexico and China.

I would go get it. I once found two 5 gallon carboys at Goodwill (secondhand thrift store) for $10 each. I bought one. This was just as I was getting into homebrewing and now I could kick myself for not buying both at once!

Go ahead and wonder what's hidden in the micro-fissures and invisible cracks.

Go ahead. Go on.

I'll keep my glass pure by only using glass that has wort passed through it. IE: I'll buy mine new (if I ever buy glass again).

When I was a golf course superintendant back in the late seventys we stored Clordane in five gallon glass water bottles. I don't think using a used carboy is wise?

Back