What happened? I missed fermentation..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krj

Reaction score
So I did my first brew last Friday, an American Wheat kit from NorthernBrewer. Everything went well, put it in my ale pail, decided to put a blowoff tube on it instead of an airlock because I'd read wheats are prone to blow-offs.

Anyway, I saw no signs of fermentation Friday through Monday, except that the lid on my ale pail was slightly dome-shaped. No bubbles coming out of my blow-off tube though, and I was checking it pretty frequently (anxious about my first brew).

Today I checked on it again and it still looked pretty much as it did when I set it up on Friday. However, I decided to take a gravity reading and, what do you know, it's down to 1.010 from its OG of 1.040.

So my question is, why didn't I see anything happen?? My first thought was that something must not have been airtight, but I went around and checked and everything seems as though it is. Putting a little pressure on the lid of the pale makes the tube bubble, so I'm assuming that means it's air-tight.

Regardless, I'm happy that it is fermenting at least and I can stop worrying about it, and the hydrometer sample I drank was preeetty good. :)

I'd guess a slow leak. Slow enough to keep up with the ferment, but too slow to bleed-off when you pressed the lid.

Latest posts

Back