beersmith help with IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borto1990

Reaction score
I just got done building a 2 tier 40 gallon kettle system. my buddy and I have been sharing his blichman boilermaker to this date. I'm trying to transfer some of our recipes to be used with my gear. I'm going to brew eschatz 2 hearted clone this weekend. we set the profile up at his house using the boilermaker.. I put it into my system and switch to my set up and the IBU's go from 57 to 64.9. we can't figure out where the difference is coming from. as all I did was change from his blichman to my kettles. can someone help me locate the difference?

Because my pot is so much bigger the boil.off rate is higher on my pot by 1.5 gallons. Which was in the recipe correctly.

In the equipment profile, it is the Boil Volume and Loss to Trub and Chiller amounts that affect the IBUs. If you increase either of those, the IBUs go up.

ok.. so comparing every screen side by side.. basically my pre boil volume is higher because my boil off is greater.. so I am suppose to alter the recipe to get the IBU's in line? I run pre boil volumes about 2 gallons higher than his system.. so that's higher and sparge water amounts are higher.. so I need to use less hops?

ok.. so comparing every screen side by side.. basically my pre boil volume is higher because my boil off is greater.. so I am suppose to alter the recipe to get the IBU's in line? I run pre boil volumes about 2 gallons higher than his system.. so that's higher and sparge water amounts are higher.. so I need to use less hops?

Yes.

If you use the scale function it will calculate the quantities for you.

Back