cascade or centennial for dry hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcfzx2

Reaction score
I just ordered a Sierra Nevada clone from Midwest and was going to dry hop but accidently ordered centennial instead of cascade. My question is the kit says to boil the cascade hops which came with the kit for the last five minutes should I switch the cascade with centennial or just dry hop with centennial?

To clarify any confusion the kit did not call for dry hopping I was adding it to the kit but ordered centennial instead of cascade.

Your question is confusing,somethings missing.so do what the kit says and then dryhop with your centinnial.Or splitt them up. I think both are very good for either. smell them and see what you like better then dry hop the smell you like better.Ok so there was no dry hopping in the kit? Then maybe you want cascade for the dry hopping then.Since this is the pronounced signature smell?

Agreed.
Both have a nice citrusy floral aroma, great for dryhopping an APA. You really can't go wrong with either.

I like hops like these because i found out what hops are in some of my favorite beers and what makes me like them so much. I had a beer boulevard brewings seasonal Nutcracker Ale and found out it was dryhopped with Chinook hops and now i have to make a Chinook ipa. I have yet to dry hop also but have yet to find out how well last min additons work for ipa's. Something new everyday.

I just ordered a Sierra Nevada clone from Midwest and was going to dry hop but accidently ordered centennial instead of cascade. My question is the kit says to boil the cascade hops which came with the kit for the last five minutes should I switch the cascade with centennial or just dry hop with centennial?

I am drinking a beer from this kit as I type this, first thing I can say is don't expect SNPA, secondly it is a good beer.

You would be fine just dry hopping with the Centennial, if you have the gumption, split the cascade 5 minute addition with centennial 50/50, and then dry hop the remainder.

Centennial and Cascade are interchangeable, but Centennials are higher IBU and considered to be Cascades on steroids. So, you can use the Cents in place of Cascades but watch your AA's. If you use the same amount of them as Cascades, your beer will be twice as bitter..

I looked up the kit at Midwest and it calls for 2 oz of cascade the last 2 min. of boil. Cascades usually run about 5.5% AA
Centennial runs about 10.5%AA
Just use 1 oz of Centennials the last 2 min. and save the other 1 oz for your dry hop and you should be good to go.

Centennial and Cascade are interchangeable, but Centennials are higher IBU and considered to be Cascades on steroids. So, you can use the Cents in place of Cascades but watch your AA's. If you use the same amount of them as Cascades, your beer will be twice as bitter..

Your not really getting any AA's at 5 min or dry hop.Or did i miss something?

No, your not really getting much, however you will get twice as much for 5 min. Not enough to make a lot of difference, just trying to related accurate info.
And correct, you will get zero AA from dry hop, but if all of the Centennials get used for the 5 min boil, he will not have any left to dry hop, or did I read it wrong. By splitting the Centennials, he should be able to follow the kit reasonably accurate.

No, your not really getting much, however you will get twice as much for 5 min. Not enough to make a lot of difference, just trying to related accurate info.
And correct, you will get zero AA from dry hop, but if all of the Centennials get used for the 5 min boil, he will not have any left to dry hop, or did I read it wrong. By splitting the Centennials, he should be able to follow the kit reasonably accurate.

2 AA'S compared to the twice as many 4AA'S wont make the beer twice as bitter.:) As quoted earlier.

True, it will only effect the 5 min addition, not the entire batch. Guess I should have put more thought in before rambling.

Back