barrel and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently barrelled my first batch of lager, I bought a keg barrel especially for this and when I put it in the barrel I put the correct amount of sugar like it said to in the instructions for a barrel.

My question is, I want to transfer some from the barrel to a few bottles to chill in the fridge, as I have already put the priming sugar in the barrel I will not need to add anymore to a bottle will I?

I realise that your supposed to decide when you transfer if you want it in a barrel of bottle but I mostly want to use my barrel its just that every now and then I will want to put some in the fridge.

Thanks all

Chris

The amount of priming sugar used for kegging is about half of what is used for bottling.

Wild

I'm not quite sure on the scientific explanation but when I upgraded from 12 oz. bottles to 1.5L bottles, I had to reduce the priming sugar by 25% per my LHBS owner for fear of creating large grenades. Before knowing this, I had kegged with a bottling dosage and had to bleed off excess CO2 for a couple of days just to calm the beer down.

Wild

Latest posts

Back