Oxyclean for cleaning primary bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I couldn't find my PBW so I used Oxyclean to soak my primary plastic bucket, auto siphon and hose after I transferred the beer to the Secondary...should be ok right? Or is there any chemicals in that that would be bad for cleaning plastic brewing equipment?

I always use OxiClean, green lid (Free of Perfume, Dyes, Chlorine). Works great.

I couldn't find my PBW so I used Oxyclean to soak my primary plastic bucket, auto siphon and hose after I transferred the beer to the Secondary...should be ok right? Or is there any chemicals in that that would be bad for cleaning plastic brewing equipment?

I always use Oxiclean Scent Free to clean my plastic equipment. Works awesome on Better Bottles with a 48 hour soak!

I'm using it as my first cleaner, it is slimy but rinses out with hot water.
I have a little B-Brite left but just got Starsan as my final sanitizer.
after 5 weeks 2p/3secondary my stout looks like it's got the funk.

Some of the plastics don't like the long soaks. You can also add TSP to your oxyclean, kick it up a little.

Some of the plastics don't like the long soaks. You can also add TSP to your oxyclean, kick it up a little.

Do you recommend any particular brand? I see a few different choices on amazon. Or can I get this stuff at a supermarket?

The hardware store should have it, I don't think the brand matters much. I've also used BSP (same thing) by Red Devel, also on amazon). I understand why it got banned (because it was in everything), but what a great amendment to a cleaner.

Oxyclean is great! I've also done the TSP addition as mentioned. These days I don't even soak my buckets anymore. I just wash them with very hot water and dish soap with very soft paper towels. Rinse well after cleaning and on brew day then a quick application of star san.

I'm not sure of where the funk grew from in the secondary.
Primary looked awesome, secondary looked clean and the in week 3 something started growing. so what ever it is I just want to go no-rinse to eliminate the rinsing and Starsan seems to be the choice most recommended online.

Latest posts

Back