Another Brewhaus closed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
why is it that Houston can only support 1 brewpub????? BJ's in Clear Lake has ceased it's on-site brewing. Saint Arnold's will be contract brewing for all three Houston BJ's locations I guess? it's a shame...........and so lame! :mad:

That's pretty weird. We've got 3 in Oklahoma City and another 2 within the metro area. I guess we likes our brew here.

You know, I thought about this a little more before I hit reply and I wonder if our brewpubs success is due to the 3.2 law we have. It forces the brewpubs to make a weaker, more whitebread type of beer. which we all know is what 90 percent of the beerdrinkers out there like. They can go feel good about themselves for drinking a brewed on premise beer, but it's really not much better than the mainstream beers.

could be? or it could be Houstonian's, for the most part, have bad taste in beer.....
there are a couple good tap houses, and a thriving micro-brewery ( www.SaintArnold.com ), but just don't understand why people can't support a brew pub. Two Row's seems to do well.

That's amazing! McMinnville (about 25 miles away) is only 30,000 people and they have a McMenamins and Golden Valley. There were three, but Trask just didn't make good ale or food.

billybrew said:
That's pretty weird. We've got 3 in Oklahoma City and another 2 within the metro area. I guess we likes our brew here.

You know, I thought about this a little more before I hit reply and I wonder if our brewpubs success is due to the 3.2 law we have. It forces the brewpubs to make a weaker, more whitebread type of beer. which we all know is what 90 percent of the beerdrinkers out there like. They can go feel good about themselves for drinking a brewed on premise beer, but it's really not much better than the mainstream beers.

3.2 law? I'm not liking the sound of that. :(

Man, I went to the liquor store on base here (on Tinker, I'm in OK right now), and they want $9.60 for a sixxer of SN Celebration! WTF? I was buying it for about half that (by the case) at an expensive-ass wine store in VA!

I think I'm gonna have to hone my skills, because I don't forsee myself putting up the with hell that is commercial beer sales in OK.

I am currently at Fort Sill in "wonderful" Lawton, OK and SN, Left Hand, Rogue...you name the big ones are all really expensive. You can't even find that great of deals on beers at the military Class 6 store.

Can the local brewpubs not pay extra tax like the OK+ system in order to brew a stronger type of beer?

I am so happy to be moving to CO in four days better beer here I come!

I think it is probably an economics issue. I imagine it is much cheaper to get contract brews from St. Arnold's in Houston than it is to employ a brewer at each BJ's and deal with beer production. St. Arnold's produces a pretty good beer and you still get the BJ's different list of beers, it is just not produced locally at that BJ's.

I think the BJ's in Sugar Land never produced their own beer. I believe they always contracted from St. Arnold's, something about licensing in Sugar Land.

Ron

Oh ****, that's what I get for responding to a thread while on a conference call.

Please disregard!

Ron

Latest posts

Back