Houston Group Grain Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schaez

Reaction score
CLOSED - 2 pallets are full and I'm not going over that amount

Please subscribe to this thread if you want to be notified on the next buy.

Target is late April to Early May order. Please only participate if you are flexible.

More Details to come. See the previous thread for how it was run last time. I'll fill in more info in the next couple of days.

Previous Thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/houston-group-grain-buy-4-a-359594/

Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtPXgv1detm_dDItNEVtX2N6UkJ3VldBaWV2ZjB4elE&usp=sharing

Pricelist from barooze
2013/02/11 pricelist here: https://sites.google.com/site/barrooze/Champlain%202013%20Price%20Sheets%20-%20Updated%202-11-13pdf.pdf

Ryan, have you ever used CM Pale Ale malt? If so, did you see any real difference between that and CM 2-Row?

Ryan, have you ever used CM Pale Ale malt? If so, did you see any real difference between that and CM 2-Row?

I once used the Briess version, which I imagine is very similar. It was several years ago, so my notes and memory are lacking, other than that the beer finished higher and sweeter than it would have with regular 2-row, although that could have easily been user error. Briess' description seems pretty accurate, given that it's part of a sales pitch. http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Base.htm#Pale

I haven't. I meant to put down 2row, but I may have put down the pale Malt for myself by accident. I usually just use 2-row, pilsner and MOPA for my base malts.

For those waiting for access I may not get to it until tonight or tomorrow morning. I can do it on my phone, but it's not that easy.

I am interested in splitting some of the following 3-4 ways, although probably not all of them. I'm not too picky about the maltster.

Vienna
Light Munich (5-6L)
Malted Wheat
GP, Optic or Halcyon

I am interested in splitting some of the following 3-4 ways, although probably not all of them. I'm not too picky about the maltster.

Vienna
Light Munich (5-6L)
Malted Wheat
GP, Optic or Halcyon

I'm down with some Vienna. I also don't care too much about the maltster, though I'm getting Best Malz Pilsner, so I wouldn't be opposed to going with their Vienna as well. :mug:

Would you be interested in trying the new Goldpils Vienna from Briess?

FYI, I've loaded the 2013/02/11 pricelist here: https://sites.google.com/site/barrooze/Champlain 2013 Price Sheets - Updated 2-11-13pdf.pdf

I haven't. I meant to put down 2row, but I may have put down the pale Malt for myself by accident. I usually just use 2-row, pilsner and MOPA for my base malts.

You're down for 2-row. i got Pale Ale malt last time and was happy with it, but was curious about differences if any knew any.

Thanks Kid for the info on Briess. Seems to align with what they're going for.

Anyone interested in a split of Briess Caramel L40? I'd only need 1/4 sack. If there's interest in a different Lovibond Crystal, that may work also.

Anyone want to split 1/2 bag of the bairds dark crystal(75L I think) and maybe a bag of the best aromatic malt(or something similar)? I'm gunna be down for several bags of base malt once I get access to the spreadsheet.

Anyone want to split 1/2 bag of the bairds dark crystal(75L I think) and maybe a bag of the best aromatic malt(or something similar)? I'm gunna be down for several bags of base malt once I get access to the spreadsheet.

I'm good for this split, also need a bag of wheat and base malt too.

I'm down with some Vienna. I also don't care too much about the maltster, though I'm getting Best Malz Pilsner, so I wouldn't be opposed to going with their Vienna as well. :mug:

Would you be interested in trying the new Goldpils Vienna from Briess?
I couldn't find any record of anyone actually using the Goldpils yet. I'll be the settler; someone else can be the pioneer. Best Malz seems to be generally considered to be just what its name says; I added my third of a bag to the spreadsheet.

Spreadsheet says I need permission to access it? I'd be in for a bag of two row and a bag of Maris Otter.

I think I've given access to the spreadsheet to everyone that's requested it. If I missed you please send another request.

Whats the difference in BD-pils/FB-pils/CZ-pils? Just different makers? and CZ=czech

Click the link in post #12. You'l find the price per pound for every malt offered (multiply by 55 for a bag, and a few bucks shipping) and what all the codes mean. BD is Bairds, CM is Canadian Malting, etc...

Whats the difference in BD-pils/FB-pils/CZ-pils? Just different makers? and CZ=czech

CZ-Pils = PROSTEJOV MALTING*from the Czech Republic. I've never seen it before and figure it's a Bohemian Pilsner Malt (I think they call it "Czech malt" here). I'm giving it a go this time around. And thanks for completing the TF-MOPA split! :mug:

Hey senordodo which split are you refering to when you say you want to split? I'm assuming the crystal but I want to know before I put it on the spread sheet.

I would like to participate. Waiting for access.

What part of town will the pickup sight be?

Thanks

I can do both the crystal and aromatic you mentioned, sounds interesting.

If either of you want to split your half or go in 3rds I'd be in for the aromatic. btw, the crystal is amazing. I still have a good amount of Crystal 40L and the Bairds Dark left or I'd be up for it. I would be hard pressed to not buy only Bairds crystal in the future.

If either of you want to split your half or go in 3rds I'd be in for the aromatic. btw, the crystal is amazing. I still have a good amount of Crystal 40L and the Bairds Dark left or I'd be up for it. I would be hard pressed to not buy only Bairds crystal in the future.

I'd be down with the Bairds 40L if anyone else wants to split a sack. I think I just need a quarter sack.

Yeah I agree on the baird's crystal got two varieties remaining from previous buys trying to complete my set. On the aromatic, I think I'd prefer halfing it. I'd like to third it money-wise but I feel like if I loved it I would run out too quickly. I've added both the split sacks to the the split section

In for a sack of MO and Pilsner. If the Breiss White Wheat malt (BM-5317) gets added to the sheet I would be interested in a sack or half split of that as well. Thanks for setting this all up.

Wow, that was fast. The first pallet is one bag away from being full. I'll do up to a second pallet, but not more. btw, the spreadsheet seems to work well, but if anyone has ideas of improving it or other ways to track the buy please email/PM me.

Remember, all prices are estimates and I'll get a quote with actuals after everything fills. If you want to add a grain to the spreadsheet please email me. Also check to make sure what you're requesting is on the Country Malt price sheet.

I am still looking for a partner or two on a bag of TF Pearl malt, so that I can make a Heady Topper clone (recipe in progress). I have two vials of the elusive Conan yeast in my fridge, should anyone wish to help out with that split.

Back