Combining yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
So, I went to the LHBS to get a pack of S-04 dry yeast for my ESB after looking all over for the liquid WLP002 brand that I really wanted with no luck finding it. When I get to the store, I look in the back of the cooler and find a big paper bag with a bunch of Wyeast packets and I found the Wyeast equivalent strain (1968). When I asked the guy why is was in the bag he said he wasn't sure and that maybe it had already been activated. I convinced him to give it to me for free while I picked up the dry yeast.

So, I made the starter on Saturday and by Sunday there wasn't much activity so I brewed my ESB and pitched the dry yeast. I wake up today to find the starter looking great and the fermentation going nicely on my ESB.

The Fullers London ESB strain is really what I wanted to begin with, though I've never combined 2 yeast strains before.

Should I go ahead and throw the starter in?

Latest posts

Back