Cream Ale all-grain grain bill screwup - what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitmask

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I ordered a grain bill for my first cream ale a couple weeks ago. I was thinking of brewing it this weekend so was looking back over my order, and man I screwed it up. Instead of 4oz of biscuit malt, I ordered 4 lbs to go with the 7lbs of 2-row and 12 oz of honey malt for my 5gal batch. Since it was all milled together, I can't just not put it 3.75oz of the biscuit malt. EEK! I haven't brewed with biscuit malt before, so I have no idea what flavor it adds, but I assume going from .25lb to 4lbs means it probably won't be good.

Please help me fix this!:mug:
*EDIT* I should say, I obviously understand that a cream ale probably isn't salvageable from this grain, but is there any chance of adding a butt load more of 2-row and some other grains to make it some high gravity brew 5gal batch? Or is a 10 gal batch the only chance of making it remotely drinkable, and if so, what grain additions???

Get more of the 2-row and honey malt, and mix it with your other blend to get the right amount of biscuit. And then repeat until you've used up all the biscuit-2row blend. That should keep you occupied for a couple years.

Get more of the 2-row and honey malt, and mix it with your other blend to get the right amount of biscuit. And then repeat until you've used up all the biscuit-2row blend. That should keep you occupied for a couple years.

LOL..thanks, I think so too. I won't throw any online brewsupply store under the bus, but I've heard some will contact you when they see you made an obvious screwup like this. I wish they had. :)

Bitmask,
What I would do is get another 3 lbs of biscuit malt and mill it and mix it in w/ the current mix. That way it's 50/ 50 blend of 2 row and biscuit. Use it as you would biscuit but use the ratio. 1 lb mix gets you .5 lb of biscuit and 2 row in your batch. It won't be perfect or very replicable batch to batch but at least you won't be wasting anything.

So use that blend on every American ale until it's gone. Browns, porters, and stouts could take more biscuit than lighter ales.

If you don't like that idea, just split the mix you already have and make a robust porter.
mix will give you
3.5lbs 2 row
2 lbs biscuit

Add 7 or 8 lbs 2 row
1 lb Caramel 60L
.5 lbs Chocolate malt

Hop to your preference.

Latest posts

Back