HERMS Mash-Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyPaul

Reaction score
I'm drawing up plans with another newbie brewer, and I'm pretty sure that I have it figured out, but I wanted to confirm that things are placed nicely in my brain.

We'll be using a keggle-setup for all 3 containers, and we're planning on building an eHERMS setup.

We'll insulate the mash-tun as best we can, but I'm expecting some heat-loss due to the fact that we'll be brewing in my garage (in cold-ass Canada). Since we're going HERMS, I can recirc the wort through the HLT and warm up the mash, that way, that's a given.

Now, where my brain is stuck is with vorlaufing (if it's not a verb, it is now).

Essentially, if I'm slowly pulling liquid from the mash, and putting it through the HLT throughout the mashing process, I'm assuming that that can be considered "vorlaufing", right? I would still vorlauf at the end, but rather than pull several liters of wort before it goes clear, I could expect it to be clear almost immediately, right?

Yeah, I've seen those. It's between Reflectix and that for insulation. My buddy likes to do everything on the cheap, and we can get 100ft of reflectix for $80, that would do all 3 keggles, lids and maybe make some nifty pants with the remnants.

I've read that the keg koozy can't really maintain temps over 150F too long, and since most mashes in my recipes call for mid-150s, I'm gonna be stuck recirculating the wort through the mash, anyways.

I don't want to constantly recirculate the wort, but I'm assuming if I have to recirculate it for 10min out of the mash (probably in the later half of the mash), that'll be enough to settle the grain bed.

I am curious why you don't want to constantly recirculate. Life of pump or something else?

Latest posts

Back