Pumpkin Beer and Obama Threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
How many more dang Pumpkin Beer and Obama's homebrew threads are we going to have to suffer through before it all end????

Wait........oh crap...............now I'm part of it too............
NO!!!

If only there was a pumpkin running the country and brewing in the white house. Now that would be something!

If only there was a pumpkin running the country and brewing in the white house. Now that would be something!

30sznyv.gif

I see no reason to frown upon the pumpkin threads. I'm all about some pumpkin ale, and this IS the time to get them brewing, since October and November are just a batch's worth of time away.

I see no reason to frown upon the pumpkin threads. I'm all about some pumpkin ale, and this IS the time to get them brewing, since October and November are just a batch's worth of time away.

Yeah, even though I made this thread as a joke you could do a search and find a thread I actually started about my pumpkin beer.....

Hey All,

There have been a bunch of revolving topics popping up lately (Obama-brew, and Pumpkin beers). In almost all of these treads there have beer numerous posts pointing out that there have already been several threads started on the topic.

I don't understand why people feel the need to try and stop the conversation.

To me an on-line forum is similar to a coffee shop or a diner. There is a flow of people coming and going. (I just pull up HBT on my phone and look at the most recent posts).

Posting in a thread saying that this topic has already been discussed is tantamount to telling a new group of people in the coffee shop to "stop talking about that, there were people in here yesterday that already covered it"

(end of rant...)

Well, maybe the person who created the duplicate thread would like to know that there's already discussions on that particular topic occurring. So if they're wanting to have a conversation about it, rather than re-inventing the wheel of an already ongoing topic, perhaps they might want to join in what's already going on.

And two, they might want to know why their thread then gets virtually no responses because the topic has been played out.

Rather than sitting at an empty table talking to themselves, perhaps the creator of the thread would like to walk over to the table where a whole bunch of people are also discussing it, and join in.....maybe that way they'd even make new friends.

Is it more important to be the creator of the discussion, or a participant? Huh?

And maybe they'll also come to realize that for newsy topics, maybe they'll want to check for next time to see if there's discussions on it.

A thread in a forum can go on for years, and always be fresh, even if a new person quotes something from the very first page of a long threads, and adds their input or insight, without needing to create a whole thread. look at some of the huge threads on here, such as the Mr Beer thread, pr the No Secondary thread, people come in and out of it for years, building upon and contributing to what's already there.

Because 1 community thread is easier to block than 10 threads a day.

Now where the feck is the petition to release the official George Washington beer?

Oh, btw, this thread has been done before. :D

Look at it this way, it's kind of like watching TV and flipping from one network to the other only to find they are all talking about the same story. Gets old and eventually you just want to turn it off.

Because it's only kind of like a coffee shop. It's like a coffee shop where you have access to the entire log of conversation that has happened.

Would it be slightly annoying if... you were in a large group, talking about, say, the massive drought in the US. Everyone in the room can hear what you are saying. Then let's say someone who was staring at the wall and not listening to the entire group's conversation says, "Have you guys heard about this drought?!?". Most likely, everyone who was listening to the first conversation would grumble about how the late-comer didn't have the attention span to deem the first conversation relevant.

Here at work, we call that "Pulling a Bill". Bill will be in the room with everyone, not listening to our meeting. Then 15 minutes later, he pipes up with the same topic we already covered. Grumbles ensue.

I wish the mods would just merge all the common threads into one when it's really obvious the same subject is showing up over and over. If there are 10 active threads on the same subject, just make them one active thread.

I wish the mods would just merge all the common threads into one when it's really obvious the same subject is showing up over and over. If there are 10 active threads on the same subject, just make them one active thread.

With all the duplicating around here, it would be a full time job. :cross:

Wait just a minute.... lemme get this straight... you guys talk about the presidents pumpkins while drinking beer? Whatever boats your float i guess.

Aside from what amandak said, then it would be even harder for the people who don't search before posting to find said thread.

I'm active in quite a few forums, and it's the same on all of them...

I don't get upset seeing the same routine stuff day in and day out - it happens, and even if they did search, it's NOT guaranteed they actually find a full 100+ page community thread about it.

I added a comment in one of the sub-forums here (forgot which) on a thread already opened that was a couple days old. That thread sank back to being like 3-4 days old before 1 last poster came about and answered my question. All those 3-4 days numerous new threads (re-threads I guess) kept piling up 1-2+ pages, while not a single one was hit with negativity about being done before.

To me, when I read a thread, if I notice it gets a couple new posts over the next couple days - I don't bother reading them since I'm done with thread most likely. If there so happens to post a question that I can answer, well I'm sorry but I'll probably not see it. If it's a new thread, normally I'll pop in and read the first couple posts anyways. I think less people will go back to a thread, even if 1 or so new posts show up in it...

I know I'm not known here, but the same actions go on in any forum community.

*This is all my opinion, and honestly it doesn't bother me one bit.

I don't read any post with more than around 20 responses. It just gets too disorganized.

I have always wondered why some people have a need to insert their own anal-retentive habits onto others. Is it a control issue? Especially since like detlion said, it happens in all forums and there are always the self-imposed, self-important forum police there to point this out and nothing ever becomes of the complaints. So if you are ranting just to rant, that's great, I like to rant too, but do you really expect anything to be done about it? I can assure you, most forums have been around long enough that pretty much all questions have been asked. So unless you want to see just a boring forum I am not sure what else you hope to accomplish by forcing people search for answers before posting. I don't and I won't. You don't like my questions that have already been asked? F you, F your opinion, just don't respond.

Should I use Starsan or Iodophor?

Better bottles or glass carboys?

Do I really need a secondary?

I'm only seeing like 20 bubbles per minute from my airlock. Should I be worried?

I don't read any post with more than around 20 responses. It just gets too disorganized.

Another reason why merging threads would be a waste of time.

As to the OP, you should be glad duplicate threads just get the old laugh-and-link. It's pretty civil around here. Go try asking a question on XDA that's already been asked. They'll kill you. With their words.

You know I've been thinking about this. In the year-ish i've been reading/visiting/using this forum I've started exactly 1 thread. The obligatory introduce yourself thread. Every question that I've had has been answered by simply searching or posting in an existing thread on the topic and it was answered again and again and again. So i guess if a noob/idiot like me can find the answers why can't the guy that starts a "Is my beer ok to drink" thread right above the "I drank my beer and its ok thread." All you have to do is read. There is sooooo much info here, you just have to read.

In nearly every aspect of my daily life I encounter tons of people who have questions about this or that thing. I say "let me get back to you" and in moments I'm back with the answer to their questions. They're always shocked that I know so much.

I'm always shocked they don't know about internet searches.

If it isn't on google or I doubt the accuracy of the info, I have friends available via text messages who tend to know things and love to talk about what they know.

So how about thos Chicago bears do you think they stand a chance year

I think the OP might be referring to jerks and not the helpful guys who post a link to the much bigger conversations. I agree that almost every question I've had is on here but the search function stinks. I have much better success just googling "homebrewtalk (whatever I'm looking for)".

I think the OP might be referring to jerks and not the helpful guys who post a link to the much bigger conversations. I agree that almost every question I've had is on here but the search function stinks. I have much better success just googling "homebrewtalk (whatever I'm looking for)".

the new search uses Google. :drunk: :D

I just thought of something... if you rack twice, would you be putting your beer into tertiary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back