Belgian Pilsner malt...straw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azurecybe

Reaction score
So I just did my 3rd all grain batch and I noticed some straw material in the Belgian Pilsner malt I ordered. It wasn't a ton but more than I've seen in other grain bills. Is this usual for this grain type?

It was a Patersbier so the grain bill was 9 lb of Belgian Pilsner malt.

I always thought that barley malt was cleaned prior to the malting process. Anyone else run across this before? I had no negative impact to my efficiency which was about 80% or so. I'm worried a bit about off tastes though.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Are you certain that it was straw? I sometimes find shreds from the plastic grain bag in my malt.

Perhaps an attempt to bring out that 'straw' flavor you seen thrown about when reading descriptions of Flemish Ales?

Here's the pic. I thought it looked unusual.

straw.jpg

I get that all the time with my Belgian ales. It's totally normal. Might be bits of the processed barley.

Funny thing is that I don't see the straws when I'm filling my bags at the homebrew store.

This happens whenever I use aromatic malt, so idk something with the belgians? Beer comes it great though so no complaining...

Back