Racking to secondary while krausen is still on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Is this a bad idea? I want to move my 4 day old IPA (OG 1052) to the secondary, but a huge krausen is still on top. Should I wait until it recedes?

Why would you want to do that? A huge krausen on top means fermentation is still quite active. Moving it now will likely negate most of the benefits of using a secondary. IMHO I'd recommend you leave it alone.

Wait. Why would you want to rack it now? Give it at least a week as there should be little to no gravity drop in a secondary. All fermentation should take place in the primary otherwise you'll just end up with unnecessary trub in the secondary.

yeah, i guess you're right. i just wanted to get a head start on clarifying the beer, plus i need the carboy space ;)

Can't worry about clarifying until it's done fermenting. Besides... it'll clarify just as quick in primary as it will in secondary. Many folks here don't even use a secondary and just leave it in primary for 3 weeks or so and then bottle/keg it. I still secondary most of my beers for a week or so, but after a long primary they're already pretty much clear. It lets me get every bit of beer out of the primary since I know that any yeast cake I suck up in the process will settle out into a much thinner layer after a week in secondary. I really hate to waste beer. :D

Back