UN Global Alcohol Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like typical WHO 'yadda yadda' to me. they're always trying to control this and regulate that. seeing as the laws here in the US are fairly strict compared to european laws, there's probably not much to worry about.

The UN can pass any resoluton that it likes. The day one becomes binding on what a sovereign nation's people do within the borders of their own country is the day that the UN ceases having even the glimmer of relevance that it tries to pretend to.

The point of the UN is to babysit relations between nations, not to pretend to be some sort of world government.

The point of the UN is to babysit relations between nations, not to pretend to be some sort of world government.
That's what you and I think, but they think something alse.
Here is a quote from the article:
Sridhar argues that the WHO is unique among health organizations in that it can create legally binding conventions.

sounds like typical WHO 'yadda yadda' to me. they're always trying to control this and regulate that. seeing as the laws here in the US are fairly strict compared to european laws, there's probably not much to worry about.

Not every country in Europe has liberal alcohol laws.
Apparently WHO wants everybody to follow the Swedish system: anything over 3.5% ABV can be sold only in Government owned stores, the stores are located far away from one another, open only 8h/day, closed on Sundays.

They can do whatever they want. I'll still be brewing my 12% barleywines.

F*** 'em.

Americans show on a daily basis that prohibitions on various substances are unenforceable and people will get said substances regardless.

Plus, the UN is an insidious organization that should be completely dismantled. :mad:

Apparently WHO wants everybody to follow the Swedish system: anything over 3.5% ABV can be sold only in Government owned stores, the stores are located far away from one another, open only 8h/day, closed on Sundays.

Sounds like Pennsylvania.

You do realize that the UN has virtually no power. They pass resolutions all the time that almost no one in the world follows, and they only enforce these resolutions if they have support from virtually all of the major powers.

Obama is about the most UN-loving president of all time, and he even ignores the majority of their resolutions.

RDWHAHB

Alcohol doesn't kill anybody, stupidity and over-indulgence does.

The UN can whine and cry all they like, the beggar nations are the only ones who care about their "resolutions". Most moderate to major powers will just roll their eyes as usual and life will go on.

that would be a lame law for the WHO to try and impart on the citizens of a sovereign state. i'm not too concerned. last time i checked, the UN, or WHO in this case, don't have much in the way of ability to enforce such a law inside the US. i think our federal government would have to be on board with that one in order for it to be something to be concerned about.

It's not that I care because I'm afraid they will erect some type of enforcement mechanism. That's a ridiculous suggestion, and my previous comments were to point out the futility of such an endeavor on their part.

I care because I despise the fact that some people believe they have the right to dictate individual action on a global scale. It's insulting.

:rolleyes:

This. It's a non-issue.

The UN can pass any resoluton that it likes. The day one becomes binding on what a sovereign nation's people do within the borders of their own country is the day that the UN ceases having even the glimmer of relevance that it tries to pretend to.

Back