Saflager S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dljones33

Reaction score
So this is my first try using this yeast. My liquid yeast was old and the starter proved as much so I bought this one as my backup. I made a yeast starter with the S-23 and it took off right away. I am making a Mexican style Corona clone. I have read that this yeast can produce some serious fruity/estery notes which I want to avoid.

The question is at what temp should I ferment this batch to avoid this? I have read that this strain will do this at both at the high end and the low end so which is it? I have a temp controlled freezer for fermentation and lagering.

Thanks for your reponse...

I have used this yeast once, and I too read a LOT of posts about fruity esthers and all sorts of bad stuff. In my experience it handled things like a champ, no issues, and no off tastes.

My fermentation was about 18 days at 50F for actual fermenting. I pitched a single pack (hydrated) at about 65F and threw it in the fridge to cool to 50. Fermentation kicked off about a day and a half later, though was likely doing something in the lag time it just wasn't visible.

I only got about a half inch of krausen the entire time, very low. No diacetyl smell/taste at all, but I did a d-rest for a couple days then threw it in the fridge at 40F for the next month.

Came out nice, it was an Oktoberfest.

I have used it in a commercial setting (brewpub, 15 bbl conical ferms, under pressure at 1.4 bars) would ferment very cold 35-45F depending on my mood/whim, usually about 2-3 week fermentation... then would lager at 33F for as long as possible, 6 to 12 weeks usually, depending on when I had to have it on tap!... always got a nice, clean beer -German bartender lass approved :) ... never actually did a diacetyl rest with it. That being said, there are many things that can effect yeast behavior, and I would be curious to hear how it behaves in a typical home setting. I am actually going to find out first hand soon since I have a Helles, a Marzen and a Doppelbock waiting to be brewed :)

When I did my diacetyl rest it was at around 62 or 65 I think? It really didn't need it though, I just did it because it was my first lager and I was scared ;) I left it for 2 days at those temps then dropped it down over the next day to 40F or so.

Smell the beer and take a sample before you commit to one, if you get the supposed buttery taste/flavor, rest it. Mine was fine though but probably didn't hurt...

I made a pilsner (extract with grains) that came out great. Here's how I fermented it:

I used 2 packs of yeast for a 5 gallon batch - rehydrated @ 72ºF for 30 minutes, then fed the yeast a little wort (probably brought the sg to about 1.015 or 1.020) and cooled it to about 48ºF slowly over about a 3-4 hour period, then pitched it to the wort which was at 50ºF. I also aerated the wort with O2 with a .5 micron stone for about 45 seconds. Fermented about 50-51ºF for 8 days until SG was 1.020 (OG was 1.052) then did D-rest @ 62-63ºF, then racked to keg and ramped temperature down about 4ºF per day to lagering temp of 33-34ºF. Lagered for 7 weeks. Tasted great.

Well, it didn't take long for the action to start. I have the fermenter in my freezer at 52 degrees and the airlock is bubbling like mad. I really want to avoid the fruit/esthers. I guess we will find out. If anyone else wants to chime in I would really like to know what you think....

If you want to make it lager then it's going to take longer. I made a great dark lager with the S-23...Fruity off flavors won't occur if you keep the temperature to the mid to low 50's. If you go into the 60's-70 range then you'll get some fruit and bubblegum to chew on.

After a few weeks at lower temperature crash cool it for a week and bottle it...use a little less priming sugar sense there will still be some residule CO2 in solution.

It's a good dry yeast. Those who remark about off flavors are using the wrong temperature.

this yeast is suppose to be less estery at ale temps around 60 i lagered (ferment temp 50ish )and was very minimal estery.

I have a SMaSH cold crashing in my garage using this yeast as we speak. I guess technically it's a Cali. Common since I did the primary fermentation at 60. It's been in my garage now for a month at 45ish. Problem is, I get the urge to draw a sample about once a week. No fruit, no esters, just a delicious incredibly clear beer. This was my first time with s-23 and I'll definitely be keeping a pack in the fridge. I guess what I'm saying is, don't listen to all the doubters. All the reports I've heard lately about s-23 are great, and my personal experience is that Fermentis has another rock star yeast in their line up.

Well, nice to hear someone else is giving it a go. I will post a report when I taste it. It has been very happily bubbling away at 53.

I have a SMaSH cold crashing in my garage using this yeast as we speak. I guess technically it's a Cali. Common since I did the primary fermentation at 60. It's been in my garage now for a month at 45ish. Problem is, I get the urge to draw a sample about once a week. No fruit, no esters, just a delicious incredibly clear beer. This was my first time with s-23 and I'll definitely be keeping a pack in the fridge. I guess what I'm saying is, don't listen to all the doubters. All the reports I've heard lately about s-23 are great, and my personal experience is that Fermentis has another rock star yeast in their line up.

I've read horror stories on this strain of yeast, it's a shame that this and S-33 have a bad rap from forums...lol, I think S-23 is a wonderful strain of yeast to lager beers with. I made a Yuengling clone with this bad boy and it came out very close to the "T". I'm crafting a Munich Helles this weekend and using S-23 to ferment with. I will post results on the Munich Helles later if you wish, although my experience with this yeast is to ferment it cool (48-52F) and lager (33-34F) it long and you will have a quaffable brilliant clean beer.

Back