BIAB with Blichmann Boilermaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epateddy

Reaction score
Anyone figure out a creative way to do BIAB with a Blichmann Boilermaker. I'm guessing the temp probe would pretty much destroy the bag.

Enjoyed this thread. But noticed the brewer is using a Boilermaker without a temperature gauge and probe.

Anyone figure out a creative way to do BIAB with a Blichmann Boilermaker. I'm guessing the temp probe would pretty much destroy the bag.

Enjoyed this thread. But noticed the brewer is using a Boilermaker without a temperature gauge and probe.

I have done it without an issue and I have the temperature probe in my boilermaker. The grain bag I got from my homebrew store is the perfect size for the 10 gallon pot. I am just careful when stirring around the probe. No issues.

Nice. Can you shoot me a link to the bag you picked up? I was planning on getting a regular paint strainer bag that most folks seem to use. And that seems to stretch to the edges of the boilermaker. So I expected there would be some snagging with that.

Use the Blichmann plug to remove the thermometer. Available here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/blichmann-brewmometer-hole-plug-kit.html

BTW, the paint strainer bags are not ideal for BIAB, nor is the bag referenced. Both are too course.

The preferred material (which lets you use a finer crush for better efficiency) is very fine and commonly referred to as "Swedish Voile". See pic below. Polyester is preferred, but cotton will work. This is what you want: http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/sheer-curtain-fabric/voile-fabric/118-inch-white-voile-fabric-.htm

Michael

swiss voile.JPG

Hmmm. Hate the thought of having to pull the probe. Really enjoyed that integrated temp gauge during my first brew. I suppose this is one way Blichmann gets folks to pony up for a second boilermaker to use for mashing. Smart.

I BIAB in a 20 gal Blichmann with the temp probe in, no problem. So far the largest grain bill was ~25lbs, and while it raising it out of the pot was a chore, I didn't have any problems avoiding the probe.

I use a homemade voile bag with my 15 gallon blichmann with no problems. Getting ready to get a 20 gallon one for mashing and a pump to transfer to my 15 for the boil though. Getting sick of having to lift 15-25 pounds of hot grain

This is good news. I am making a keggle with a spigot and a thermometer and I was worried about the probe. Asked that question on another thread but have yet to hear back.

Also, I use the same AHS bag mentioned earlier and get lots of grain trub. Going to make a voile bag.

Thanks!

The temp probe is really going to be fairly useless in BIAB anyway. You could only use it to measure your mash-in water temp, then you wouldn't really use it anymore.

During the mash and mashout, the temp of the water/wort outside of the grain bag doesn't really mean anything, you'll stir the crap out of the grains in the bag whenever the heat is on to average out the grain bed temps, then measure the temps inside the grain bed. Then, during the boil, you don't really even need a thermometer at all, because the temp is either 212F or it's not.

If you do want to go BIAB, I'd either work around the probe or get the plug.

FYI, I have used paint strainer bags on all 8 of my BIAB batches and they are NOT too course. The only function the bags serves is to let water in without letting grain out, and I NEVER have any grain in my wort using paint strainer bags. I even put pellet hops in 1 gallon paint strainer bags and they do not leak out of the bag either, so they are again NOT too course. Use with confidence!

The only real benefit I see using voile material bags over paint strainers is that you would never have to replace them if maintained properly, where I can only use each paint strainer bag for 2-3 batches tops before I have to get another one.

The temp probe is really going to be fairly useless in BIAB anyway. You could only use it to measure your mash-in water temp, then you wouldn't really use it anymore.

Not true. My themometer measures the same on the kettle as it does when I put another in the middle of the mash. With true BIAB your mash is so thin that the temp difference isn't going to be that much throughout the mash. If temps start falling too much, I pull the bag up, light the burner for a bit, dunk the bag up and down until I get temp back where I want it and then drop the bag back in and stir

UPDATE: Noticed in my last batch that the Brewmometer was WAAAY off. Tried turning the adjustment screw to get the temp right (matched against a Taylor digital). Couldn't lock in an accurate measurement across the temp spectrum so I emailed Blichmann and they suggested flexing the knuckle a few times to.....I have no idea what that was supposed to do.

So that fancy piece of equipment is now a piece of %$&$. Bought the $5 plug to put in it's place. So now the probe won't be an issue for my inaugural Brew In A Bag session - looking like March.

Back