Belgian White - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
Ok, this is my first homebrew in about 6 years, been far too long, so be gentle.

Recipe with the help of the Recipator

Target OG 1.050
Target FG 1.01
Target SRM 3
Tareget IBU 15

4oz Cara-Pils
4oz Raw Oats
4oz Flaked Wheat

51/2 lb Wheat Extract (I believe the Recipator assumes this is liquid, I’ll adjust if I use dry)
12oz Candi Sugar

2oz Sass @ 3.75

Tablespoon Irish Moss

3/4oz Crushed Coriander
3/4oz Bitter Orange Peel
3/4oz Sweet Orange Peel

Belgian Ale or Wit Yeast

Drop grains into 2 gal cold water, bring to boil, remove grains. Add extract and candi, return to boil. At boil add hops, after 45 minutes add Irish moss, at 55 minutes add coriander and orange peel. Remove from heat, let sit in ice bath, or use immersion chiller if I have one by the time I brew this. Pitch yeast below 70 degrees.

Primary 7 days
Secondary 7 days
Bottle 14 days +

Any thoughts? Missing anything? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Belgian Wit has always been tricky from me to brew. In 14 years of brewing it was the only beer that produced exploding bottles. The reason I said that is that you have to be patient with Belgian yeast strains. They will look like that fermentation is finished then come back up for a couple of days. So plan 14 days in the primary or take hydrometer readings.
Also, depending on how much flavor and aroma you want from your orange and coriander; you can add them to the secondary rather than the boil. I boil the orange peel and spice for 15 minutes in 2 cups of water, cool it, and add it to the secondary.

Thanks for the heads up, I've done other belgian with no problem but I'll extend the primary for sure.

OK,
I just finished brewing this and I've got one f-ed up OG.

Recipator says that this recipie should yeild a 1.05 og, I got a 1.16 og at 72.5 degrees F.

WTF?

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes from cold water to a boil, I can't imagine 12oz of grains adding .10 to the og.

What am I doing wrong?

Not a dumb question, I didn't provide enough info.
It was a sample from the carboy, 5.5 gallons.

I realized that I also read the og wrong. It's really more like 1.11 not 1.16.
I've never been very good with a hydrometer.

Back