Carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

Reaction score
So this link came up at the top of homebrewtalk. I was intrigued by the idea of a slightly cheaper carboy with free shipping.

However, the description says "The Plastic 6 Gallon Carboy is ideal for a secondary fermentations and bulk storage of wine or beer. It`s made of clear PET plastic, the same material used to make 2 liter bottles, only this plastic carboy is thicker and heavier. It`s completely taste and odor free and impermeable to oxygen. That means you can use this plastic carboy to bulk store your wine as long as you like. "

Why secondary fermentation and not primary?

Maybe just because of the 6 gallon size?

5 gallons of beer in a 6 gallon carboy could easily spew out the top. If you attach a blow-off, I don't see why you couldn't use it as a primary.

I see no problems using it as a primary. I assume it's like a better bottle and I use my 6 gal BB as a primary with no problems. I usually don't even need a blowoff but that of course depends on the beer and yeast.

are they talking about a Better Bottle? If so, I use my 6 gal BB as a primary with no problems. I usually don't even need a blowoff but that of course depends on the beer and yeast.

It's not the "Better Bottle" brand name, but it's the same generic thing; a 6 gallon carboy made of PET plastic.

Back