Southern Tier Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
ok....so i've had 4 different kinds of beer from Southern Tier, and they're all awesome, if not amazing. Can this brewery do no wrong? I'm convinced that they cannot.

Their Pumpking is one of the best seasonal releases ever and their 2X IPA fresh is damn close to Pliny, but I just cant get on board for their Dark Water Imp Stout stuff. They are one trick ponies that kill the palate in my book.

i agree, pumpking is pure amazing. but i love the dark water series; the creme brulee is my favorite brew. Ik it's sweet and it's big, but i'm pretty sure it's brewed w/crack b/c i have 20 empty bottles of it in my basement from the last 6 months, and i crave it all the time. i'm a malty guy tho......so i don't need a hoppy brew to be happy

Yah the creme brulee is what it is but its a great beer to split with people who arent into craft beer. I did a video review of it with my bro and he really liked it but Id much rather have something else

Old man winter was pretty terrible. Otherwise, the are quickly becomming one of my favorite breweries. Unearthly is amazing. Their Pale ale is simple and awesome!

Pumking is the only pumpkin beer I will drink. I was pretty much convinced I hated the whole pumpkin beer thing until I tried that one. They have a few other great beers, as far as I'm concerned, and a bunch I won't drink, either because they're too sweet, use lactose, or both. The fiancee loves the creme brulee and mokah stouts, though.

How is Back Burner? I'm sure someone must have tried that one.

There Mokah just got ranked #4 for 2010 by a spirits magazine, cant remember the name of it now. I love there stuff, yes a few things are a little over the top but for the most part you cant go wrong with anything they make.

and pumpking is THE Best pumpkin beer on the market hands down. Im pretty sure i got a little turned on the first time I had that beer.

i agree, i didn't get the hype about pumpkin beer until i had Pumpking....now things are much different, needless to say.

The Blackwater series is a love/hate thing. Before you buy any of these beers and ultimately "dump them down the drain," you should read the label first. They're made with lactose....A LOT of it, which makes them really sweet, they're basically dessert beers. To dump a $9 bottle of beer down the drain seems a little bit extreme. The blackwater series is a completely different style of brew, it's not just imperial, it's more like imperial dessert. For the Choklat, they pour hot wort over belgian chocolate. All their labels are pretty true to their taste, the creme brulee tastes like creme brulee, the choklat isn't just a hint of chocolate, it tastes like a chocolate bar. I think they did a good job of marketing that. The names speak for themselves.

I just got a bottle of back burner yesterday and am anxious to crack it open.

I tried their regular IPA and was unimpressed... maybe it was an old pack on the shelf but I found the hops lacking very much in every department... so much that I thought a weak APA was labeled wrong as an IPA. Haven't tried anything else from them since then, maybe I'll give them another shot though.

Ya know... I LOVED their Pumpking last year. This year I had it again (2-3 bottles) and each I just didn't like anywhere near as much. I just found it way too candy sweet and I didn't recall that much sweetness with last years batch - to which I had at least 12 bottles. Every year however I always love Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale (my absolute favorite pumkpin) and Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale. Those two I always love and never seem to change taste at all with each year.

Granted, it could just be my tastes of course. But I absolutely loved Pumpking last year and couldn't enjoy it this year so I dunno.

Rev.

Ya know... I LOVED their Pumpking last year. This year I had it again (2-3 bottles) and each I just didn't like anywhere near as much. I just found it way too candy sweet and I didn't recall that much sweetness with last years batch - to which I had at least 12 bottles. Every year however I always love Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale (my absolute favorite pumkpin) and Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale. Those two I always love and never seem to change taste at all with each year.

Granted, it could just be my tastes of course. But I absolutely loved Pumpking last year and couldn't enjoy it this year so I dunno.

Rev.

I really wish i had tried pumpking last year, but i didn't know about it. But, you're spot on with your other pumpkin beers, those two are my other favorites. i actually prefer the pumpking over both of them tho. i bought 18 bottles i think... still have a couple left, i need to crack them b4 it's too late.

I tried their regular IPA and was unimpressed... maybe it was an old pack on the shelf but I found the hops lacking very much in every department... so much that I thought a weak APA was labeled wrong as an IPA. Haven't tried anything else from them since then, maybe I'll give them another shot though.

i've heard from multiple people that their unearthly IIPA is really good. Not being a hop head, i haven't tried it yet, but i'll get around too it. I don't know about their regular selection, but their imperials are pretty good.....maybe try the unearthly if u can.

btw, nice Raptor

I am a huge fan of the Choklat and Backburner. I've got a few bottles of some other things (Heavyweizen, Big Red) but I haven't tried them yet. I think their stuff can be expensive, but I love it.

I've had the UnEarthly.

Nearly knocked me on my ass...spent 20 minutes looking for an ABV rating on the bottle, but for some reason couldn't find it. <facepalm> So I sipped it down thinking it was a run-of-the-mill 5-6% IPA. lol

I am a huge fan of the Choklat and Backburner. I've got a few bottles of some other things (Heavyweizen, Big Red) but I haven't tried them yet. I think their stuff can be expensive, but I love it.

drinking the back burner right now. Choklat is great, i can't step away from Creme Brulee tho.....i've got a sweet tooth and it hits it just right. It's an expensive habit at $9/bottle......wife gotta a little pissed when she saw a receipt for over a $100 from the beer store.......but what was i gonna do, i had to stock up on Pumpking......it sells out like playoff tickets.

the back burner is really good, i'd give it an A, but in recent memory, i think that Brooklyn Monster Ale Barleywine beats it out fair and square. Back burner is dry hopped....which is good, but i think it gets away from the style a bit. either way, i'm drinking it, and i'd buy it again.

I might be biased since I'm only about an hour away, but there's not much from them I don't like.

Their Unearthly is pretty unreal. But my favorite has to be their pale ale. It's such a simple beer, but so well done. Oh yeah, that and their Phin and Matt's.

i've heard from multiple people that their unearthly IIPA is really good. Not being a hop head, i haven't tried it yet, but i'll get around too it. I don't know about their regular selection, but their imperials are pretty good.....maybe try the unearthly if u can.

btw, nice Raptor

FYI - the Unearthly is not a hophead beer. Its very Caramel malty with a moderate bitterness. I dont know the IBU's bt it is such a big beer they do not overwhelm. Similar to DF 90 min. but a bit more complexity.

I might be biased since I'm only about an hour away, but there's not much from them I don't like.

Their Unearthly is pretty unreal. But my favorite has to be their pale ale. It's such a simple beer, but so well done. Oh yeah, that and their Phin and Matt's.

I hear ya, being a regular vacationer at Chautauqua, ive been to the brewery a million times and have been drinking their beer forever!

I feel like they are my find.

Biased. and rooting for them.

I just bought a bottle of the 2XIPA I Love it! I also tried the Unearthly and wasn't crazy about it. Those are the only two I have had.

Not to get off topic, but I'd pick Schlafly Pumpkin as a great pumpkin ale, and one that I may enjoy more than the ST offering.

I actually really like their regular IPA. It isn't very bitter, but I always noticed that it had a great hop flavor. Maybe it is like you said and the pack was just old.

I've had the UnEarthly.

Nearly knocked me on my ass...spent 20 minutes looking for an ABV rating on the bottle, but for some reason couldn't find it. <facepalm> So I sipped it down thinking it was a run-of-the-mill 5-6% IPA. lol

ha ha, yeah, unearthly is 9.5%, it's an imperial, any of so tier's imperials you can rest assured are hovering around 10% abv

FYI - the Unearthly is not a hophead beer. Its very Caramel malty with a moderate bitterness. I dont know the IBU's bt it is such a big beer they do not overwhelm. Similar to DF 90 min. but a bit more complexity.

oh, my bad, i just assumed since it's an IIPA.....i'll definitely try it

I hear ya, being a regular vacationer at Chautauqua, ive been to the brewery a million times and have been drinking their beer forever!

I feel like they are my find.

Biased. and rooting for them.

Feel the same way about Flying Dog....even tho it started in colorado.....i've been drinking it since then, but now it's 20 mins from my house in md ever since they moved their entire operation to frederick md

Not to get off topic, but I'd pick Schlafly Pumpkin as a great pumpkin ale, and one that I may enjoy more than the ST offering.

ive heard about it. i assume it's not available right now, but it's on my radar

btw, nice Raptor

Thanks for the heads up on their imperial selection, I'll see what I can get locally.

The quad is actually a YFZ450, though I haven't ridden much since the baby. :(

Thanks for the heads up on their imperial selection, I'll see what I can get locally.

The quad is actually a YFZ450, though I haven't ridden much since the baby. :(

oh, my bad...from this angle it looks like a raptor to me. I have a baby on the way too...........hope he likes to brew....

got some left over southern tiers from a beer trade (had to buy sixers). the 2xipa isn't bad. drinking a ST porter right now and its pretty good, just not a big fan of porters so I'm a bit biased

We just started getting Southern Tier in my part of Georgia in the last few months. I love the 2XIPA. One of my favorite beers at the moment.

Southern Tier has slowly become my favorite brewery.

My favorites include:

Unearthly
Gemini
2X
Pumking
Creme Brulee
Chokolat
Krampus
Hoppe
Farmer's Tan
Hop Sun

Hard to find another brewery with a better list of beers IMO.

If you like the sweet imperials from southern tier you should mixing a choklate and a creme brulee. Just drink that for dessert its so delicious.

Back