Old Republic Brewing now operational

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
Just started my first brew day. Here is the run down so far.

1. Got out of bed, checked yeast....good to go
2. Went to the store bought 6 gallons of Culligan water.
3. Sanatized everything, equipment, counters, spoons, airlock...etc
4. Started a pot of 1.5 gal of water to 155f, second pot of 1.5 gal to 170.
5. Temp hit 160F and I dropped in my steeping grains, waiting now for the 30 min mark......

More to follow.

Tim

Part 2

1. Steep is done, rinsed the grains, and discarded
2. Waiting for boil to add extract (approx 3g boil)
3. Cleaning as I go, and always wipping the counter and stuff down with StarSan.

Tim

Part 3

1. Took about 20 min to get to a boil
2. Added 1 oz Cascade Hops, set timer 60 min
3. 5 min into boil first boilover
4. waiting for boil to finish....approx 30 min
-------------

5. Boil is done, took out the hops, and started the cool down. I need a wort chiller!
6. Ferment bucket is ready to go. Going to pour the wort in, carry it down to the basement, then top off, mix, take my gravity reading, and pitch.
-----------------------

7. Wort cooled to 75F
8. Poured wort into bucket, and then stirred like a madman with my mixin paddle - this caused a 4-5 inch "head" on the wort.
9. Carried it all down to the basement, and topped off with some cold water from the freezer, temp down to 70F
10. Mixed the brew as best as I could pulled a sample for gravity SG=1.044. (kit said .042-.046)
11. Pitched, and topped with lid and airlock with starsan in it.

So that was pretty fun. Just shy of 4 hours, and no major problems that I can see. THe fact that the wort is so dark has me worried. BUt the sample tasted like real sweet beer, so it cant be all bad.

Tell me what you guys think>

Tim

Tim

One thing I've learned in my whole 3 times brewing (;)) is the very first thing I do is put water on the stove to start heating it - I'm sure you've realize that there is plenty of time to clean and sanitize your equipment while you are waiting for grains to steep and waiting for your one hour boil. Gives you something to do while you are waiting.

Sounds like you're off to a good start! You are certainly using good sanitation, and making sure your wort was well-aerated won't hurt either.

Just make sure you don't peek into your fermenter every other day - leave it be to do its magic (at least 7-10 days in primary, if not more).

Congrats! Now start planning the next batch... :mug:

I'm sure I won't be the only one to suggest this, but adding your extract late in the boil might be something to try. When the extract boils, it gets darker- and might throw the color off-style, if that's important to you. I did my last PM batch by adding the extract in the last 10 minutes instead of at the beginning of the boil- and the color is spot-on!

Another not about sanitization. I never sanitize anything pre-biol. The boil will kill anything that might be in there. Usually I start sanitizing stuff starting about 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

Well now is the hard part. Waiting. Been about 3 hours and I see no signs of fermentation via the airlock....want to open and take a look, but will fight the beast, just hope I can win.

Tim

I know exactly what your saying - it's hard not to worry, fret, wonder and be inpatient - I've been there. I use carboys and can actually see what is going on -a closed bucket must drive people just beginning nuts.
However, in my very limited experience (5 batches), I have found that the only reason to look at the airlock is to check to see if you have krausen coming out of it and need to switch to a blowoff tube to avoid a large mess to clean-up.

Well now is the hard part. Waiting. Been about 3 hours and I see no signs of fermentation via the airlock....want to open and take a look, but will fight the beast, just hope I can win.

Tim

no worries. I have had several that didn't start fermenting for a day or two.

2 days in and no "visible" fermentation activityin or around the airlock (btw I am using a 3 piece). Peeked under the lid and what did I see…

That’s right a thick foamy head. Now, I hope this is what you guys call krausen(sp) . Also got a great “warm” beer smell. Now, to leave it be again for a week. I am not going to secondary, so is there any reason that I should check on it again before next weekend?

Tim

Krausen fell a few days ago, so to day (day 10 not counting brew day) I took a gravity reading. 1.008 kit says between 1.010-1.012. My reading was not correct for temp, but it should be around 72F. The beer looks good, nice red/amber color, waiting for it to chill so I can taste it.

Tim

Well The sample tasted good, if not flat. Lots of flavor and character. THe wife even liked it.

Took a gravity reading today, steady at .008. One more and she will be ready to....

...well... she will be ready to sit in the primary for at least one more week, unless I pick something up at the LHBS that I am going to attempt to find tomorrow.

Tim

Back