Quick Aeration Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdowns63

Reaction score
I've been going through old threads looking at aeration methods and I've got an aquarium pump and air stone, but I need an inline air filter. I keep seeing references to these, but I'm not sure where to get it. Can I buy it at a pet store near the aquarium pumps or at a hardware store? Also, if it's the hardware store, what section would it be in? I'm just not sure what it's used for outside of brewing and aquariums, so I don't have much of an idea of where to find it. Thanks for the advice!

mdowns63 said:
I've been going through old threads looking at aeration methods and I've got an aquarium pump and air stone, but I need an inline air filter. I keep seeing references to these, but I'm not sure where to get it. Can I buy it at a pet store near the aquarium pumps or at a hardware store? Also, if it's the hardware store, what section would it be in? I'm just not sure what it's used for outside of brewing and aquariums, so I don't have much of an idea of where to find it. Thanks for the advice!

How to Brew suggests that you can just use wet cotton(I'd probably soak it in a starsan solution) inline to filter the air. He also suggests that you use a SS air stone, which should be available at LHBS.

What type of fish do you keep?

Currently, no animals. I never got to deep into fish aquariums, but I've had some reptiles/amphibians over the years that I had some semi-aquatic habitats for. And yes, I did buy a fresh set for brewing!! (I don't want fish or frog flavored beer) :cross:

I used a pump and aquarium stone for the last two batches. It made a lot of foam, and didn't have a big impact on my FG like I hoped it would. All of my beers seem to finish in the 1.015 - .020 range. They have been IIPA, IPA, Imperial Stout, and Irish Stout. All finished about 5 points high.

I just got an o2 kiit from morebeer with a filter. I know they sell the filters separate for $5. I am hoping that will help my FG numbers.

Back