Dry saison yeast-anybody have experience with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyMac81

Reaction score
I'm a recent all grain convert Bd want to try a saison with summer coming up. I was wondering if anybody can tell me how well dry saison yeast works.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you talking about Belle Saison dry yeast? If so, yes, I have experience. Overall, a positive experience. It's good stuff. Good attenuater and you won't need real high heat. My last was done at 62F and then ramped to 75F. Came out great. I recommend it.

+1 on the Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast

My experience is to keep it in the mid 60's until fermenting starts and then let it run wild.

I’ve read that brewers let it raise up into the 90's

Mine usually stayed at low-80's with a room temp of ~70

Great peppery taste and one batch attenuated down to zero. I had to look for my errors before I was convinced of what I was seeing.

Did a Tank 7 clone and received lots of accolades.

‘da Kid

+1 on the Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast

My experience is to keep it in the mid 60's until fermenting starts and then let it run wild.

I’ve read that brewers let it raise up into the 90's

Mine usually stayed at low-80's with a room temp of ~70

Great peppery taste and one batch attenuated down to zero. I had to look for my errors before I was convinced of what I was seeing.

Did a Tank 7 clone and received lots of accolades.

‘da Kid

I'm glad to read that yours attenuated that way. I had not done a saison before so I didn't know what to expect when I started mine. I had read that to get more of the esters a slight underpitch would help so that is what I tried. My FG was 0.995 so I had really great attenuation. I tasted the hydrometer sample and was considering dumping the whole batch because I didn't like it at all (small batch, no great loss if I did dump it) but I bottled it instead and while it still isn't my favorite, once carbonated and conditioned a bit it is quite drinkable.

I broke down and made a saison with this and so far it appears to be pretty good. The krausen hung around for a while and the flavors appear to be there although not as strong as some other saisons I've tried before. I will be bottling it some time this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

More flavors will come out of the woodwork with some aging. It's not as strong as some other saison yeast but, I like the fact that it is restrained. Hope yours comes out good!

Back