High Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
It's hot in Iowa right now. I like to keep my beer fermenting on the main floor, A: because I can keep looking at it and B: my basement is musty/moldy and I don't like the thought of it being down there even if nothing can get at it.

It's been fermenting at around 74-78 degrees and is currently in its second week of secondary. I've noticed that in the hottest parts of the day it has even sweat a bit inside the carboy. Is this going to give me some funky flavors or should I be ok? I know its in the upper echelon of temp ranges for ales... Oh by the way I have an Irish Red and an Apricot Amber currently fermenting.

The Irish red was a Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast... I know the optimal range for that is like in the 60's. Hope it doesn't mess up the flavor too much. The Amber was just an extract kit from true brew. I think it was just a generic Munton's ale yeast....

I'm worried my Irish Red may be screwed now... awesome.

Edit: Both ales have been right on with the suggested OG and they seem to be approaching the suggested FG as well.

If it were my choice, I'd opt for the cooler temperatures of a musty basement. The fermenter and secondary are capped, so no air borne stuff will get in there. And fermenting in the mid to high 70s will definitely impact your beer.

It might taste gross for the first little while. But with some extra conditioning will taste just fine.

Or it will be fine. I wouldn't worry about it, your beer is not ruined may just need more time to condition.

:mug:

-Nick

Time does cure a lot of esters and phenols. I had that problem with my first brew. After about 6 weeks in the bottle it was fine.

My next question... should I even bother moving it after it has already been sitting in secondary in that temp for a week? If I drop the temp for the last week is that going to make it worse?

It shouldn't hurt anything to move it if you want to. Doing a longer secondary will help it also. Leave it an extra week or two longer then normal.

Also when I say you have to let it condition longer, I mean a long time. Long cat long. I've let beer sit 6 months in bottles before it was good to drink. But it was good and well worth the wait! Ive also only had to let beer sit an extra couple weeks. Just letting you know it may take a long time to clean itself up.

:mug:

-Nick

Moving it now won't help you out much. It won't hurt, either, though, so do what works for your space.

I, too, have a funky basement, and the better temps down there make a big difference in terms of getting clean-tasting beers.

As mentioned above, you likely have a bunch of esters on your hands, which isn't the worst thing. It'll clean up some in a few weeks, as well.

my only concern is it is in secondary and I don't want to have to slosh it around getting it to my basement now. I know oxygen in secondary is not a good thing.

my only concern is it is in secondary and I don't want to have to slosh it around getting it to my basement now. I know oxygen in secondary is not a good thing.

That's a solid point- one I didn't think of. If you don't have to move it, I'd just leave it, and start basement fermenting with the next batch. I'd still put money on this beer being quite drinkable and enjoyable, by the way.

There's probably some co2 in solution from primary. Shaking it could bring the co2 out of solution, thus blanketing the beer. If you're using a 3 piece airlock, you'll know if you are successful if the plastic cap inside floats a bit. This should prevent oxidation.

I've carried my brews up and down the stairs on every batch and every racking. No problems with oxidizing yet. But if you are using glass carboys, you'll want a brew hauler.

Your fermentation is probably better off in a moldy basement at cooler temps than a cleaner location with temps too warm and fluctuating. Just be sure the fermenter is well sealed. Use cheap vodka in the airlock for added insurance. Spritz and wipe down the fermenter with a sanitizer--i.e. Starsan or alcohol--after moving back upstairs and before popping the lid to transfer.

Back