Using malt grains in soda recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Have any of the soda makers here used a steeped specialty malt grain in your recipe?

The thought occurred to me to add flavors to future soda recipes by steeping the grains then adding the liquid to the water portion of a recipe. The grains I am thinking of would be biscuit, honey, caramel, nutty....

You know the fun flavors :)

Specific example:

Peach Soda

X lbs of fresh ripe peaches (peeled and cubed)
X lbs of brown sugar
1 lb biscuit + honey + caramel malts (personal pref on portions)
pectin enzyme (for haze; leave it out if you don't care)
X tsp cinnamon

Boil the peaches and cinnamon, add sugar to dissolve and strain into container
Steep grains for ~20-30mins. Strain into container
Add enzyme if desired

Top to desired volume.
Place in fridge to settle debris then siphon into keg (or add yeast and bottle)

I can see this working for many fruit soda recipes for a caramel flavor or darker/nuttier grains for fall sodas.

Any experience bad or good?

Has no one EVER tried this?? :p

Does anyone have any reservations about this as well? It will be a while before I can try this but when I can I will post any results in future recipes.

Bumping this to see if anyone has any experience with it. I'm thinking a bit of crystal or honey malt might do some good in a root beer or cream soda. Can anybody think of any downsides?

I have done this with great success. See my blog for the Harry Potter Butterbeer recipe, and the Apple Pie Soda recipe. Link is below.

Just make sure that people know that it does contain an allergen (wheat/barley) when you offer it to them if you a) don't know them b) haven't seen them eat food/drinks that contain gluten. most people don't think of it when they consume soda. Cascal tripped quite a few people up who didn't look at the labels first.

The downside is that for people who are gluten intolerant or celiac, they can't have it, and sodas tend to be one of the safest things for us/them. Beyond that, I don't know of any downsides.

Ive tried this with ginger ale and it turned out pretty well. I used caramel 120 once for some color and Ive also used Maris Otter just to see what happened. Pretty tasty!

I haven't tried it, but the wort for my rogue hazelnut brown clone bore an uncanny resemblance to the background flavor profile of Barqs rootbeer.

I just used some pilsen and caramel 60L in a root beer recipe. It is still carving but from early taste tests before carving was complete, the flavor and body were amazing. Definitely different from traditional though.

Latest posts

Back