English Pale Ale Recipe- needs feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBaxter

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just whipped up a fairly simple English Pale Ale recipe and wanted to see what some of you think before I dive in and brew. I am relatively new to AG brewing so I wanted the opinions of experts! 60 minute mash, 60 minute boil.

9 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Caramel 40L

.5 oz Target hops at 60 mins
1.5 oz Target hops at 2 mins
4 oz Kent Goldings at 2 mins

I am thinking of mashing on the higher side to give the brew a little extra body. I plan on using Safale S-04 dry yeast for dependability.
The recipe was made using a 70% efficiency and so the predicted stats are:

OG 1.053
FG 1.016
IBU 30

I'm hoping I can bring the FG down to at least 1.014 but I'll be happy either way. I'm hoping that its a well balanced brew with a good bit of hop flavor but without any overly harsh bitterness. A session ale.

Any thoughts?

Looks good. You sure you want 5.5oz of hops near flameout? You are gonna get lots of aroma.

aeviaanah said:
Looks good. You sure you want 5.5oz of hops near flameout? You are gonna get lots of aroma.

Yes I think so. I figure that Goldings are generally fairly mild in flavor and aroma and I really wanted a unique aroma. I've never used Target hops but I heard they go quite well in small quantities with Goldings.

I figure why not swing for the fences? :)

Yes I think so. I figure that Goldings are generally fairly mild in flavor and aroma and I really wanted a unique aroma. I've never used Target hops but I heard they go quite well in small quantities with Goldings.

I figure why not swing for the fences? :)

Because you'd be wasting 3 ounces of Kent Goldings? ;) My .02, I'd drop that 2 minute Target addition back to 15/20 minutes and adjust the quantity to keep your IBUs in line then use an ounce of Kent at the end.

BigEd said:
Because you'd be wasting 3 ounces of Kent Goldings? ;) My .02, I'd drop that 2 minute Target addition back to 15/20 minutes and adjust the quantity to keep your IBUs in line then use an ounce of Kent at the end.

Why would they be wasted? Is there a maximum flavor/aroma yield?

Why would they be wasted? Is there a maximum flavor/aroma yield?

Diminishing returns, it's just way more than necessary. Traditional UK bitters have lots of hop character and you don't need excessive amounts of hops to achieve that.

Hey guys here's my new hop schedule:

.4 oz Target @60 min
.6 oz Target @15 min
.3 oz Kent Goldings @15 min
2 oz Kent Goldings @2 min

Look better?

bethebrew said:
Pellet or leaf?

AA of each?

Pellet. The AA is 11% for Target and 4.75% for the Goldings. Those are average numbers though, not necessarily precise.

Hey guys here's my new hop schedule:

.4 oz Target @60 min
.6 oz Target @15 min
.3 oz Kent Goldings @15 min
2 oz Kent Goldings @2 min

Look better?

I wouldn't even bother with 15minute additions. They will add IBU's, and a little bit of flavor.

Boil the 15min Target addition for the last 2 minutes instead, then throw in the Goldings after the boil, once the steam has died down - maybe around 180degrees or so. You'll be able to actually taste them then. Adjust your main IBU addition accordingly, based on the Targets you've removed from the 15min addition.

It's not that 15min additions are wrong, necessarily, it's just that they should only really be used if you are already using a lot of hops later in the boil and looking for good flavor. Never use them for flavor instead of a much later hop addition - like 2 minutes or less. The oil boils off quickly..

Back