Spicing my Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citrus

Reaction score
My AW has been going for about a week and a half. Could I still add spices (i was thinking cinnamon and cloves) now, or should I wait until afterwards? Or should I just remember to add them in the begining of the next batch?

Also, does anyone have any amounts of these spices that have worked well for them?

If this is you first batch I would stick with the original recipe and see how you like it. If you feel like you want to make any changes do it with your next batch.

Ok that makes sense. Should I pitch them in at the begining next time?

The next time you have time to kill, read the Edworts Apfelwein thread. It goes on forever. I made a few test batches using a rubber stopper and an airlock made in the 1 gallon juice bottles. Kinda cool having them lined up on the counter bubbling away. Last night I bottled my first 5 gallon batch and started another. Carbed with 3/4 cup corn sugar and 2 cups of fresh apple juice.

on a different note (hijacking my own thread...) where does everyone get their corn sugar? I have only seen it online and would prefer not to oder it like that.

Citrus said:
on a different note (hijacking my own thread...) where does everyone get their corn sugar? I have only seen it online and would prefer not to oder it like that.

LHBS.

$2.60 for 1.5kg (3.2lbs), while 2lbs of normal white sugar will run you for 2$ and may add off flavours.

On the first subject in this thread. I decided I would do a normal batch of Apfelwein. Then, with the experience and when I taste the finished product with the specific yeast (Lalvin 1118) and juice (Allen's by Lassonde) I will decide how to spice my second batch.

I made one batch and it was way sour. neighbor drank that batch. He's like Johnny... he'll drink anything. made the second batch, still a little sour, sweetened with lactose, kegged and let it sit for six months. Damn good stuff. Neighbor gets a glass now and then, but for the most part, it's mine.

I made another batch a couple months ago. I used:

5 gals juice
3 lbs honey
sweet mead yeast.

after the the first week of fermentation, when the smell dropped off, I added a coule sicks of cinnimon and half a vanilla bean. No idea what this will come out like, but I like vanilla cream ale and cinnimon spiced rum, sooooo...... its sitting in a secondary jug, bulk aging for a few months. No idea what it tatses like yet. Started another batch last week the same recipe, except I added a few whole cloves and some nutmeg to it.

Its cheap, and if it tastes like *ss, the neighbor can have it.

fretman124 said:
I made one batch and it was way sour. neighbor drank that batch. He's like Johnny... he'll drink anything.

I love the tartness of Apfelwein. I'll have none of this "sweetening" business. :drunk:

My batch is not sweet either. Almost a musty flavor. :eek:

Last night I added some Potassiuim Sorbate to stop the fermentation.

Tonight I'll rack and add another can of Apple concentrate (straight from the container), 1/2 lb brown sugar and Splenda (start at 1/2 C). I'll let sit a few days and sample it again.

Once this next batch is done, I'm planning on saving a few bottles specifically for mulling with some loose mulling spices I picked up at World Market.

:rockin: YUM.:rockin:

Back