chalkboard paint... slightly different use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flushdrew42

Reaction score
so as i'm oogling all of your DIY kegerators, and pub rooms etc...

and realizing that my ultra small 1.5gal batches, and no kegs leaves me with little use for taphandles and keg chalkboards...

unless...

anyone think it would work to paint one side of my bottles with it? to be able to write on the side what's in the bottle... wipe it off and scribble the new contents the next time out?

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
some of my initial concerns would be... how would it hold up to condensation due to refrigeration? etc.

I've been toying with this idea too, my main concern is paint adhesion to glass. I'm afraid it'll peel off easily. I'm looking into getting vinyl stickers, which you could use with dry erase.

I use round labels the size of bottle caps and run them through a printer to mark the bottles, this way you can see what beer it is by looking at the top.

Chalk wipes off to easily. ever time you grab a bottle you will have to be careful not to erase your markings. It might look cool though....

My wife used chalk board paint on several different glass containers and they work great and it goes on very easily. It will work just fine with bottles.

I will tell you use a damp cloth to clean off the chalk board area.

so as i'm oogling all of your DIY kegerators, and pub rooms etc...

and realizing that my ultra small 1.5gal batches, and no kegs leaves me with little use for taphandles and keg chalkboards...

unless...

anyone think it would work to paint one side of my bottles with it? to be able to write on the side what's in the bottle... wipe it off and scribble the new contents the next time out?

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
some of my initial concerns would be... how would it hold up to condensation due to refrigeration? etc.

What if you taped off like a 1-2" strip all the way around the bottle? Then you wouldn't have to worry about which side of the bottle you were grabbing - you could just always grab by the neck. You could get those bistro chalk markers to write on them too... dunno... could be cool!

dunno if i'd want to get chalk all over my hands reaching for a bottle of homebrew...

its definitely a neat idea though. just don't think i'd implement it. i like vinyl labels personally, reusable, could even be printed to look good.

I would make sure to scuff up the side of the bottle that you are going to paint with a SS wool. This will increase your surface area for adhesion and help keep the paint from chipping. Great idea. I might do this, too!
-Jeff-

I just painted a few bottles and will report back in a day to give an update.

I bet if you masked off the bottle and etched an area with this stuff.
http://www.armourproducts.com/
Then painted it with chalkboard paint it would stick very well. My wife made a set of glasses with snowflakes with this stuff and in produced a very nice matt finish. I was thinking of using this to make up a set of custom growlers.

Barely dry. Impatient

image-3521627043.jpg

I'm definitely stealing this idea for my growler... sweet.

Now the question is, how will it hold up to the Oxyclean/StarSan solutions we often subject bottles to?

Hard to say so far. It isn't really dry yet. I didn't scuff the bottles at all, either. I've set them aside and on sunday night I'll throw them through the dishwasher on high heat a few cycles. I rinse my bottles after pouring and use the dishwasher sanitizer cycle before bottling, so minimal chemicals to worry about. The sani cycle prob will do more damage.

The paint scratches off very easily. No way it'll hold up.

I'm going to take some bottles and media blast them to see if the paint stays better. Might be a week before we're done.

I scuffed them up with sand paper and the chalkboard paint sticks pretty well. Though, I don't plan on putting them in the sanitize cycle with my regular bottles. These will get a star-san treatment instead. I am only going to write on the bottles when I go to my brew club meetings...its really just all about the look IMO.
-Jeff-

Latest posts

Back