American IPA Midnattssol IPA: Silver Medal 2013 Door County Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Bright hop aroma and flavor, a strong bitterness and a firm malt backbone distinguish
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/CAMS-4-Hop-IPA.html

This beer took the silver medal in the IPA category at the 2013 Door County Beer Festival's Homebrew Competition. A beer best enjoyed fresh, to enhance the aromas and flavors of this ale's four American hop varieties - Mosaic, Summit, Amarillo and Citra.

Bright hop aroma and flavor, a strong bitterness and a firm malt backbone distinguish this beer. Used both mash hopping and first wort hopping techniques. Basically just kept throwing hops at this beer ;)

7 lbs Pale Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
2 lbs Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Wheat Malt
0.5 lb Caramel Malt 60L
1 oz Summit hops (15% aa, mash hops)
1 oz Amarillo hops (8.5% aa, first wort hops)
0.5 oz Amarillo hops (15 minutes)
0.5 oz Mosaic hops (11.5% aa, 15 minutes)
0.5 oz Citra hops (14% aa, 10 minutes)
0.5 oz Mosaic hops (10 minutes)
1 oz Mosaic hops (5 minutes)
1 oz. Citra hops (5 minutes)
1 oz. Summit hops (0 minutes)
1 oz. Summit hops (dry hop)
1 oz. Citra hops (dry hop)
1 oz. Mosaic hops (dry hop)
Irish Moss
Fermentis US-05 American Ale Yeast

Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV: 6.8%
Bitterness: 73 IBUs
Mash at 149 F for 60 minutes, single infusion, batch spar

Any ideas on how to make this all grain?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for this recipe, started my brew on the 20th and it smelt amazing, its not bubbling away in the fermenter.

Cant wait to taste.

Cheers,

Thanks for this recipe, started my brew on the 20th and it smelt amazing, its not bubbling away in the fermenter.

Cant wait to taste.

Cheers,

Hope it turns out well for you! My son and I just wrote up our list of beers to brew this summer, and I think this is on the schedule for next weekend.

Bottling the beer tomorrow and will update you in a few weeks after I get one in me :)

Well I finished. Bottling.

Og - 1040.
Fg - 0997

From my research that means a % alcohol of 5.8%.

The smell while bottling was amazing and I can't wait to drink one.

Only concern is that when I tried a bit of liquid after measuring Fg it was a little bitter. I hope this mellows out while in the bottle.

Well I finished. Bottling.

Og - 1040.
Fg - 0997

From my research that means a % alcohol of 5.8%.

The smell while bottling was amazing and I can't wait to drink one.

Only concern is that when I tried a bit of liquid after measuring Fg it was a little bitter. I hope this mellows out while in the bottle.

A couple of thoughts and questions.

Your batch's original gravity is significantly lower than the recipe calls for - by 22 points. At 1.040, it is outside the range for an IPA and even low for an APA. None of which matters, except that often brewers will scale hops, bitterness and IBUs up or down in relation to the original gravity. Its a balance issue - more malt supports more hop bitterness.

That being said, a lot of brewers are making 'session' IPAs now and it looks like that may be what you've made. Lower original gravity, with lower abv, makes the beer more drinkable, but with abundant hop aroma, flavor and bitterness.

I'm not entirely understanding your final gravity reading - do you mean 1.009 or 0.9 or ?

Also, is it possible that your reading for your original gravity was off? Do you use a refractometer or a hydrometer to take your readings?

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first all ish grain brew. My past ones have been kit brews so I am still learning and may of made a few mistakes but from the smell of the beer I think I got away with it.

I used a hydrometer to take the reading. To clarify the last one was 0.993

I realised the other day that I did not scale the amount of hops based on bitterness % but they where very similar to your recipe.

I don't think I steeped my grain enough and used to little water when doing it. I was aiming for 23 litres but at the end of the boil I only had 20. I think the last 3 litres evaporated, I will keep this in mind for my next brew.

Last thing is I'm not sure how to scale up and down like you suggested. More reading is needed me thinks

Back