Thoughts on this for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2fooz

Reaction score
It says food grade, it's 16 gallons and has an O-ring top. I like that it's not round so it maximizes space usage. $24.00

Gamma Vault.jpg

It's pretty common to use those vittle vaults. There are several threads discussing them, and several homebrew shops sell the larger version with a grommet on the lid, an airlokck fittend and a spigot on the bottom.

TuffTank22.jpg

But price them out at Pet supplies plus before you buy, you might get them cheaper there, especially if there's a coupon for the store in a circular or if they're having a sale.

Thanks Revvy. This was at Costco but I'll look into them further. My 6.5 gallon carboy seems like an inefficient use of space. I have a mini fridge but want to get something bigger for multiple fermentations at one time. Rectangle fermenters seem like the way to go.

"Food grade" is a fairly wide range of plastics. What is the number on the bottom? If it is a 1 or 2 then you should be ok. The only other concern, is it "dyed" white? Dyes can be bad news. IMO $24 is kinda high for a plastic fermenter.

I do 5 Gal batches for now. The birdseed vaults may be a good alternative. They have 6.6 Gal version 13.25"H x 12"W x 12"D

#1 is PET and usually clear. These would probably be #2 HDPE.

IMO $24 is kinda high for a plastic fermenter.

The first time I saw one of these vittle vault fermenters was on here from an online retailer, the 20 gallon one was selling for over 100 dollars. It pissed me off because the 20 gallon container sells in the 30-40 dollar range, a grommet is 10 cents and an airlock and spigot can be bought for under 5 bucks for both of them.

not wanting to hijack this but I found these at walmart the other day for I think 8 bucks and they look like they would be good cheap fermenters

794610.gif

I wish I would have found them before I ordered another pail, I'm sure it would be a pain to clean though.

count_dookie said:
not wanting to hijack this but I found these at walmart the other day for I think 8 bucks and they look like they would be good cheap fermenters

I wish I would have found them before I ordered another pail, I'm sure it would be a pain to clean though.

I believe those are the preferred fermentor for no chill brewing

I use two of the 55lb VV's. They hold 13 gallons. Amazon with free shipping comes in around 37$. I keep them in 20 gallon rubbermaid tote bins from HD filled with water. Now I just need to find a chest freezer big enough to hold three of them.

I like how the Vittle Vaults or Seed Vaults have a large opening. Much easier cleaning.

Latest posts

Back