What size chest freezer to use for fermenting 3 carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longbeer

Reaction score
I wanted to share measurements for a chest freezer I'm using as a fermentation chamber. I needed a freezer that could fit 3 carboys. Surprisingly I couldn't find any clear suggestions online. Most posts were focused on keezers and fitting kegs into freezers, not carboys. But with a bit of guesswork I settled on a 12.9 cu ft chest freezer from Frigidaire. See dimensions in image below:

xW11e.jpg

I purchased this from Lowes and they delivered it the next day.

I plan to use the shelf space for blow off vessels, yeast starters and misc bottle fermenting.

Disclaimer: I took these measurements with a cheap measuring tape and my bare hands, so consider them approximate. :tank:

My 7 cubic foot chest freezers fit two 6 gallon carboys on the bottom and one 3 gallon carboy on the shelf. So you should be ok.

Are you guys using some kind of low profile airlock with the carboy on the shelf? It seems like height would be a problem. Or did u install a collar?

Back