one step closer to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit77

Reaction score
I just got 3 sanke for 50$. The guy I got them from was selling them 20$ a keg he has another 5 more that I think I should have got, a well. In Canada sanke are hard to find. I was wondering would it best to use a cooler for a mash tun or should I convert one sanke for the deed? I`m thinking plastic would hold temp better then ss right? and putting a burner under the mash ( using a sanke ) to kept proper temp is not practical to me when I think a cooler would do the job with no flame.

If I`m missing some thing please let know

Later

Your right that the cooler will hold heat better. Even if you insulate the sanke it will loose heat faster. The trade off is that you cannot heat your cooler mash tun unless you build a steam infusion system. If you do mostly single infusion mashes (which works fine for most beers) it is not a problem.

GT

I don`t think I`m going to do decoction mashing anytime soon. For now I looking to do single infusion. So I have the spare sanke for futur if I plan to complicat the mash.

thanks

if i'm not mistaken, can't you do decoction mashing in a cooler anyways? I thought the removal of the grains and water for the temp raises was the whole point of decoction... Boil x amount water and y amount grain, and add it back to the mash to raise your temps....

I'm not a rocket surgeon... i could be wrong :drunk:

You can raise temp in a cooler mash tun in a bunch of different ways except direct heat from a flame.

1. Additional infusion.
2. Decoction.
3. Steam.
4. Pumped recirculation through a HERMS coil.

NoClueBrewMaster said:
if i'm not mistaken, can't you do decoction mashing in a cooler anyways? I thought the removal of the grains and water for the temp raises was the whole point of decoction... Boil x amount water and y amount grain, and add it back to the mash to raise your temps....

I'm not a rocket surgeon... i could be wrong :drunk:

Yeah but it seem to be alot of work for nothing. Taking the grain & water out of the cooler put them in the kettle heat it etc.... It`s seem to make more sent to convert a keggle as a mash tun and kept everything in the same pot just add heat to get the correct temp... following the step of decoction.

From the clips I`ve seen on youtube decoction is a style that the German use to mash their grain. Their must be something better about decoction then the other method just to only raise temp. Other wise why go to all that work? When you can raise temp of the strike water and preheat the cooler...Right?

Then again I`m new at this I could be wrong to.

bandit77 said:
Yeah but it seem to be alot of work for nothing. Taking the grain & water out of the cooler put them in the kettle heat it etc.... It`s seem to make more sent to convert a keggle as a mash tun and kept everything in the same pot just add heat to get the correct temp... following the step of decoction.

From the clips I`ve seen on youtube decoction is a style that the German use to mash their grain. Their must be something better about decoction then the other method just to only raise temp. Other wise why go to all that work? When you can raise temp of the strike water and preheat the cooler...Right?

Then again I`m new at this I could be wrong to.

I believe decoction relates to different enzyme and amino acid conversion temperatures that need to be utilized in order to convert under modified malt varieties. While its not necessary to do any longer due to better malts, people that do use the decoction methods seem to think the beer still comes out better... The german's still do it as well...

Latest posts

Back