Wait or toss in Notty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggybrew

Reaction score
I did an AG bock on Sunday that called for WLP838 yeast. I forgot to make a starter so had to toss it in from the vial. Then after pouring I discovered that I didn't shake it up enough and had some yeast stuck to the bottom. In a panic, I dipped the vial into a bucket of Star-San solution, shook to free the yeast and dumped it in.

It is day 4 and there is no activity. The surface is placid and clean but has very small "boogie globs" floating and suspended but not moving. I think I WAY under-pitched. The little globs may just be trub from when I gently rocked the carboy yesterday.

Should I just wait for it to take off? I would have to wait until my brew supply is open on Saturday to get some more 838 and re-pitch.
Or should I toss in some good old Nottingham now before something else takes over.

Yes, you underpitched, I believe the white labs are all designed for a starter to be made. It is still building a few billion fellow yeasties (depends on O.G.?) in order to take on the job.

Unless:
1. You did not aerate sufficiently.
2. The star-san you added to it was over the correct dilution rate.
3. The temperature at pitching was too high.
4. The fermentation temperature is too low.
5. Any combination of or all of the above.

If you don't want to wait, I'd suggest pitching the notty, If you want to wait and your sanitation practices are sound (And no other problems as stated above), it should take off in a few more days (Depends on O.G.).:mug:

Thanks. Everything was in order as far as temps, O2 and Sanitizer strength. My sanitation practices are normally rigid.

This particular time I hand to dip my raw hand into the Star-San bucket so I could reach into the funnel to unclog the screen. That's why I'm a little nervous about waiting too long. But HBT has taught me many things, one of which is BE PATIENT. So I'll split the difference and toss in the Notty tomorrow if I don't see any change.

Heck, there is always another brewday to try this lager again. Thanks again!!

Okay this is another lesson to mark on the ol' belt.

In the evening of the 4th day (104 hours after pitching) I have a thin layer of krausen forming on the surface and bubbling in the airlock. So it pays to be patient. I just hope I didn't stress-out the little guys too much. We will taste the final results next summer.

My mash tun and kettles are clean an awaiting the next brewday. So I'll just relax and enjoy this crazy hobby.:ban:

Back