First time, is it normal or is the tea going bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are normal. The coloration is the life cycle of the yeast. The clots are also just bacteria beginning to multiply.

Good luck - Everything is normal!

Those are normal. The coloration is the life cycle of the yeast. The clots are also just bacteria beginning to multiply.

Good luck - Everything is normal!

Thank you for your reply.

Yesterday while waiting, I dug out the scoby and checked out the coloration part, and it turned out that it is a little pouch with bits of tea leaves in it. I used whole leaf green tea and didn't filter the tea, just poured the tea out. It seems like the scoby is forming a little pouch and trapped all the loose bits of tea leaves in it, like a little tea bag.

What should I do? Should I dig out the little "tea bag" and toss it out? Should I filter my tea before fermenting it? Will the itter "tea bag" go bad and cause problems?

Thanks again

No need to worry so much. Everything is normal. In the future I would suggest to filter the tea before fermenting it, but it really won't change the tea, as much as the look. No harm has been done. I'd let the tea take it's course. Welcome to the world of KT!

Looks great. I've read SCOBY cultures turn brown from tea, sediment, and fluoride from the tea.

Back