exploding? mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjm76

Reaction score
I had a unique experience the other day when I bottled my first batch of mead. I bottled my mead still (about 3 weeks after I added K sorb and additional honey) in wine bottles. Sometime in the 2-4 hours following my bottling one of my bottles either shot the cork out or the cork just slipped out or something. Anyway, I'm not sure what happened, I went down into the basement a little after I had bottled the mead and noticed mead all over the floor and one of the bottles in the rack without the cork. The cork is still MIA, so I assume it got shot somewhere. With such a short time I can't see it being contamination, but who knows? Anyone got any ideas?

mjm76 said:
I had a unique experience the other day when I bottled my first batch of mead. I bottled my mead still (about 3 weeks after I added K sorb and additional honey) in wine bottles. Sometime in the 2-4 hours following my bottling one of my bottles either shot the cork out or the cork just slipped out or something. Anyway, I'm not sure what happened, I went down into the basement a little after I had bottled the mead and noticed mead all over the floor and one of the bottles in the rack without the cork. The cork is still MIA, so I assume it got shot somewhere. With such a short time I can't see it being contamination, but who knows? Anyone got any ideas?

It had to have still been fermenting. When did you add the honey? How are the other bottles??

I added the honey 3 weeks ago, about 2 days after I added K sorb and K meta, so the yeast (and anything else) should have been dead. The other bottles are fine. It really doesn't make sense....like I said I was in real short order after I bottled it. Who knows?

mjm76 said:
I added the honey 3 weeks ago, about 2 days after I added K sorb and K meta, so the yeast (and anything else) should have been dead. The other bottles are fine. It really doesn't make sense....like I said I was in real short order after I bottled it. Who knows?
Just a guess but if you had not fermented to dry and racked a couple of times after you still had active yeast. K Sorb and K Meta don't stop an active ferment in mead unless used in very large amounts.

mjm76 said:
So I'm assuming this was just one bottle then. ..

Depending on what kind of bottle you used, there may have been some old yeast in the bottle that livened up again. . .

I don't really know, though. Hopefully the rest of the batch behaves.

Back