pitching dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
what pitching temp should I use for orval dregs? pitch before, after, with, or without neutral ale yeast?

What exactly are you trying to do?

For a "typical" sour ale (fermenting with Sacch and then infecting afterward), let primary fermentation just about finish with neutral ale yeast then pitch the dregs (room temp is what I have done).

I'm not exactly sure what I'm making... just toying around i suppose. I have a gallon glass jug with stopper and airlock. I mashed one pound of two row in a quart of water and soured that for three days with a handful of two row. then folded that into my boil (another pound of two row with a handful of the aromatic i have) I then folded in 1 lb of mixed berries (blueberries and raspberries) for the last thirty of the boil. now the wort is in the glass jug with dregs from a bottle of orval, with stopper and airlock. I didn't pitch any neutral ale yeast. but i'm also not sure what is in orval... i know brett is... it is basically a one gallon conundrum

Could be very interesting then. I'm not sure exactly what strain of Brett is in Orval, but it seems they're generally quite viable.

But is it bottled with BRett? Lots of beers especially ones deep in traditio0n like Orval, filter out their specialty yeasts and bottle with something else simply for carbonation... Neat experiment though!!

the brett in orval is actually added at bottling time so theyll be plenty of viable yeast in there

To the original question - how much funk do you want?

alot - pitch only the dregs

just a touch - pitch after sacch has done its job

to be honest though with everything else that this beer has been exposed to I would just pitch the orval dregs and let it go, its probably already pretty funky the way it is

it is way funky now, its just a one gallon funktastic funkfest. nothing yet from the brett. pitched orval dregs from a small bottle 24 hours ago. If i get nothing by 72 then i'm just gonna pitch the s05 then maybe secondary it off of thee s05 into another gallon jeg with a wL brett b and a mini mash to top it off/feed the brett...

I went ahead and pitched some us05 into this. I got no sign of life from the orval dregs. once it's done i'm going to secondary it and top it off with another mini mash and pitch a small brett b starter.

The thing about Brett is that it's very slow. I've had my sour in secondary for over a month and just recently after adding some oak chips have I seen real activity from it (pellicle starting to form).

I understand that Orval uses brett, but are there any other yeasts present in the dregs? Or does the brett take over? How would pitching the dregs differ from purchasing brett from a LHBS?

Back