Brewing in miami...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stirge said:
I'm down in the Key Largo, I know it's not Miami but rather close.

Close enough ...:)

How do you keep cool your fermenter?

I'm a Boca Raton brewer that goes to school in Rochester (upstate ny). Up here I acquired a dorm fridge and hacked up the door and use that. My friend's wine fridge also fits a fermenter. But I brewed warm while in Boca. The beer came out fine enough

I bought a johnson temp controller and found a cheap fridge on craigslist, it isn't ideal, the fridge can only hold 1 carboy since it has a freezer side, but it works, making my first lager right now. I may be able to fit 2 if I pull out all of the compartments and setup 2 tiers, just haven't had a need yet and I'm only making 1 lager so it's not important to fit both in at the moment. I just bought a 2 keg system however so I either need a second fridge or I need to figure out some way to get more space, maybe some door cutting is in order.

I'm in Miami. I've tried a two different methods:

1. Put the carboy in a tub of water with 2 frozen 2 liter bottles (and two more in the freezer) swap the bottles from the freezer to the water every day. This is a bit of a hassle, but it works. Throwing a wet towel over it can work, too.

2. Now, my freezer is a bit smaller, so I can't use up half of it with bottles of ice. So, I now choose my yeast wisely (some are more heat tolerant than others), and keep the A/C in my house down to 70 during the first week or so of fermentation when the fermentation temp makes the most difference. It drives my wife crazy, but it works. (I have a small house, and a very efficient new A/C, so it's not too bad with the increased electric consumption.) I still ferment on the high side of the temperature spectrum, but short of turning my garage into a fermentation chamber, it's really the only option.

frothdaddy said:
I'm in Miami. I've tried a two different methods:

1. Put the carboy in a tub of water with 2 frozen 2 liter bottles (and two more in the freezer) swap the bottles from the freezer to the water every day. This is a bit of a hassle, but it works. Throwing a wet towel over it can work, too.

2. Now, my freezer is a bit smaller, so I can't use up half of it with bottles of ice. So, I now choose my yeast wisely (some are more heat tolerant than others), and keep the A/C in my house down to 70 during the first week or so of fermentation when the fermentation temp makes the most difference. It drives my wife crazy, but it works. (I have a small house, and a very efficient new A/C, so it's not too bad with the increased electric consumption.) I still ferment on the high side of the temperature spectrum, but short of turning my garage into a fermentation chamber, it's really the only option.

Thank you for all Infos

Back