Building my first keezer, need parts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mringo17

Reaction score
I am building my first keezer. Just bought my 7.0 cu foot Kenmore freezer today and starting to build the collar. I am trying to see what conversion kits are needed for the build. My problem is I cannot find one that will setup for two taps, one for a corny and one for a standard sanke. Where can I find out what I need so I have a complete list of all the parts?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to sharing my keezer build on here!

That would most likely be a custom kit, call or email kegconnection, they will hook you up. great prices and excellent customer service

Great thanks! I will look at both of these options. Looking forward to sharing my Keezer pics. Bought the wood for the collar today!

Great thanks! I will look at both of these options. Looking forward to sharing my Keezer pics. Bought the wood for the collar today!

Don't necessarily feel the need to order a kit from somewhere. You may be able to order the parts all separate and make your own kit.

Just food for thought. Sanke kegs just require a different connection (one that combines gas and liquid into 1 piece. Everything else about your system should be the same.

Also, post pics of your progress!

Don't necessarily feel the need to order a kit from somewhere. You may be able to order the parts all separate and make your own kit.

Just food for thought. Sanke kegs just require a different connection (one that combines gas and liquid into 1 piece. Everything else about your system should be the same.

Also, post pics of your progress!

Thanks! Just posted some pics of the kegs in the freezer on the show your Kegerator Thread, will here as well. Just trying to find the most economical way of doing this build so I don't have a ton of extra parts I don't need.

One bit of advice...

BUY PERLICK FAUCETS!

If you buy the standard rear-sealing faucets, you're going to be really mad at yourself in 6-24 months when you have to frustratingly replace them with Perlick. So buy the Perlick right up front and save a bit of that money in the long run :)

One bit of advice...

BUY PERLICK FAUCETS!

If you buy the standard rear-sealing faucets, you're going to be really mad at yourself in 6-24 months when you have to frustratingly replace them with Perlick. So buy the Perlick right up front and save a bit of that money in the long run :)

Great advice, I am seeing that more and more reading these posts.

That being said, a lot of the time those are not included in the kits. Is there some sort of checklist so I can make sure I have all the parts if I am buying this piece by piece?

Great advice, I am seeing that more and more reading these posts.

That being said, a lot of the time those are not included in the kits. Is there some sort of checklist so I can make sure I have all the parts if I am buying this piece by piece?

Here's a list I put together on my recent 5-tap keezer build (I already had 3 Perlicks, so I only needed 2 more):

Code:
Perlick SS Faucet	843164	2
Shank Assy 4" w/ 3/16" Barb	843418	5
4-way gas distributor	843674	1
Ball-lock Gas Keg Coupler (MFL)	843382	6
Swivel Nut - 1/4" FFL to 5/16" barb	843413	6
Ball-lock Liquid Keg Coupler (barb)	843385	5
Beverage Tubing (3/16") - 100' Roll	843535	1
CO2 Tubing (5/16")	843553	30

This is description, part number, and quantity. This is all from ritebrew.com.

Note that I already had my CO2 tank, regulator, and a 3-way gas distributor. And I got an extra gas coupler and swivel nut, as my keezer holds 6 kegs so i wanted to be able to force-carbonate the extra slot.

The key is simple -- just work back from the faucet to the keg. You need a faucet, a shank, some way to attach the shank to tubing (mine had a barb built in, but some you need to buy a "tailpiece" and locking nut seperately), tubing, a way to attach the tubing to the coupler (my liquid couplers have built-in barbs), which attaches to the keg.

On the air side, you just work from the tank to the keg. You need a CO2 tank and regulator. You need tubing to some sort of distribution block (BTW since you have a keezer that will hold three kegs, I recommend you get a 3-outlet manifold up front). You need tubing from the distribution block to the coupler (for the gas I used MFL couplers, so I needed the swivel nuts), which attach to the keg.

All that said, when you get your "shopping list", post it up to this thread and we'll let you know if we see anything missing...

I recommend getting a tank from bvrgelements.com.

They've got 10lb new aluminum tanks for about $80 shipped. For beer line and tubing, micromatic.com. Also beveragefactory.com is great.

You're probably going to find it better to mix and match parts, unless someone's got a killer deal.

And ditto on the Perlick faucets. Don't get anything less. You can typically get a faucet/shank/handle combo for 45-60 bucks (depending on chrome vs stainless steel shanks). I went with the SS faucet + chrome shank.

Alright, here is my shopping list so far. So what am I missing. Also, on the ball lock couplers, what is MFL versus barb?

From RiteBrew

843164 - Perlick Perl Faucet - Stainless Steel (2)
843374 - Sanke Keg Coupler (1)
Ball-Lock Gas Keg Coupler - 1/4" MFL (2)
843386 - Ball-Lock Liquid Keg Coupler - 1/4" MFL (2)
843425 - Shank Assembly 4" - Stainless Steel (2)
843468 - Rubber Washer (2)
843455 - Tailpiece 1/4" - Stainless Steel (2)
843462 - Hex Nut (2)
843532 - Beverage Tubing - 3/16" - per ft. (20 ft)
843553 - CO2 Tubing - 5/16" - per ft. (do I need 10ft???)

Clamps?

Going to get CO2 tank separately as well as Regulator and Gas Distributor.

Barb is set up to go direct to tubing, where MFL is a screw connector.

So, for the gas QD:
843381 is barb, so you can simply clamp the gas tube directly onto the outlet of the QD
843382 is MFL, so you need to buy p/n 843413 (swivel nut) or you won't be able to attach your air line

For the liquid QD:
843385 is barb, so you can attach the beverage line direct to the QD
843386 is MFL, so you need to buy p/n 843412 to be able to attach your beverage tubing

Since you want the ability to go back and forth between Sanke and Corny, you *want* to stick with the MFL connectors.

It looks like the Sanke coupler requires a beverage tailpiece, and the gas tailpiece doesn't allow for MFL connection, so you need this:
(2) 843459 - MFL tailpiece
(2) 843462 - Hex nut
(2) 843468 - Rubber washer

This is in addition to the hex nut and rubber washer you list in your post. Those pieces will allow you to easily swap between Sanke and Corny.

As for gas tubing, I'd buy a few extra feet. It's cheap and it's a lot better than not having enough. If you're going to keep your CO2 tank inside the keezer on the hump, 10' is more than enough. If you're planning on mounting it outside the keezer, you might want to go to 15' just to make sure you've got enough.

Last -- clamps. I just bought standard hose clamps at home depot. I know the "Oetiker" clamps are a lot nicer, but I was impatient on the day when I decided to assemble everything...

I would buy the best items you can afford, if you have to wait and save, it will save you in the long run. Here is a list of what I have for my 4 tap keezer. I would go with MFL fittings where you can for easy of switching if you end up with a ball and a pin lock or switch a commercial keg in any time. Let me know if you have any questions on set up. Here are the links for photos

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzG_yBsODcAwTEhNNzg5WDgyZUk
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzG_yBsODcAweXZSZUVGVjdnU3c

[X] Perlick SS Taps (4)-$35.95
[X] SS Shanks (4)-$21.95
[X] Tail Piece (4)-$3.25
[X] Washers (4)-$1.99
[X] Hex Nuts (4)-$1.25
[X] Air Distributor (1)-$41.95
[X] Freezer(1)-$179.00
[X] Temp controller-$75.69
[X] Collar(1)
[X] Ball Lock Kegs (4)
[X] Keg Air in (4)
[X] Keg Beverage Out (4)
[X] #20 C02 Tank(1)-$100.00
[X] C02 Regulator (1)-$449.00
[X] 20 ft – 3/16” Inner Diameter (I.D.) Beverage Line
[X] 12 ft – 5/16” Inner Diameter (I.D.) Gas Line
[X] Drip Tray(1)-$25.00
[X] Liquid line cleaner 32oz-$13.99

Typically you can buy the quick disconnects as a pack for gas in and bev-out. Like this one. Note that the one I linked you to does indeed have the barb, despite the picture only showing the threaded piece.

As for gas tubing, bwarbiany is correct. You def want to have some extra tubing around. Many people also get a manifold so that they can split gas off the main line. As you can see in the picture below, I've got a small bit of tubing going to my manifold and secondary regulator, and then I've got a good 7-8 ft running off the manifold, which goes straight to the primary regulator. I use this for force carbing, rather than having to tap into my regulator lines. You'll learn quickly that once you've got a quick disconnect on the beer or gas line, it isn't coming off easy. But anyhoo, you can basically force carb straight off the main gas, and just use a long line to have it outside the kegerator while you do the "keg-roll".

See here:
wrvIV.jpg

Alright sweet, this has been great. Let's keep it going and I really appreciate the help. Check this list.

8-14-2012 3-00-41 PM.jpg

Looks pretty good but you need a WYE/manifold or a dual reg. to get gas to the kegs.

Don't forget the little nylon flare washers that go in the MFL fittings! You don't need them if the MFL is plastic tipped (corney QDs) but you do if it's all stainless (Sanke coupler tailpiece)

edit: 843414 at ritebrew, it's $0.39. I'd grab like 10 of them, they tend to disappear.

Don't forget the little nylon flare washers that go in the MFL fittings! You don't need them if the MFL is plastic tipped (corney QDs) but you do if it's all stainless (Sanke coupler tailpiece)

edit: 843414 at ritebrew, it's $0.39. I'd grab like 10 of them, they tend to disappear.

Good looking out, added those! Going to be pulling the trigger on my purchase this weekend!

Alright, I have updated my list. All that is missing is a CO2 tank and I will order from another site. This site seems to be one of the most competitive for pricing as well.

8-15-2012 11-33-53 AM.jpg

Manifold? You're really gonna want to have one.

Hell, with a 2 tap setup, you NEED one, and if you plan on keeping 2 kegs on tap and prepping others, you're gonna want a manifold with (# taps + 1), which allows you flexibility, and gives you a dedicated force-carbing hose. I keep mine on the manifold and just wrap it around the CO2 tank, then use it when a new brew is ready to carb. No needing to disconnect existing kegs, etc.

Also, if you're ordering all this separately, I recommend checking to make sure that you're not able to get a better deal on the faucets by ordering a complete faucet combo. I know when I got mine the other week, I got a Perlick 525 SS faucet, a chrome shank, and all fittings, barbs, etc, for that faucet for like $45/faucet. Looks like yours is close, but I'd check anyways.

Manifold? You're really gonna want to have one.

Hell, with a 2 tap setup, you NEED one, and if you plan on keeping 2 kegs on tap and prepping others, you're gonna want a manifold with (# taps + 1), which allows you flexibility, and gives you a dedicated force-carbing hose. I keep mine on the manifold and just wrap it around the CO2 tank, then use it when a new brew is ready to carb. No needing to disconnect existing kegs, etc.

Also, if you're ordering all this separately, I recommend checking to make sure that you're not able to get a better deal on the faucets by ordering a complete faucet combo. I know when I got mine the other week, I got a Perlick 525 SS faucet, a chrome shank, and all fittings, barbs, etc, for that faucet for like $45/faucet. Looks like yours is close, but I'd check anyways.

Where did you get the kit for the faucets? I will take my time and search around for the best prices or do multiple orders.

Yeah I need to get a manifold as well, forgot that. This site was sold out or not in stock. Any suggestions then for a 3 setup manifold?

I got all my stuff from beveragefactory (faucet combos, most parts, etc), micromatic (beer line and hoses.....theyre way cheaper than other places), and bvrgelements.com (10lb tank).

The other sites are probably just as good, but shop around. I got this combo for the faucet. Basically, it comes with everything except the beer line to run to the tap. The combo comes with tap, shank, any hardware, the barb, and the tap handle.

As for the manifold, there's not much too them, so you can find brass 3-way manifolds for less than $40. I personally went with the silver aluminum/whatever with the fancy red knobs (around $45). I think you're gonna find that most of your shopping is gonna boil down to shipping costs vs multiple orders. You'll end up wasting money paying $10 more to ship a $7 cheaper product. :mug:

Also, I am not crazy with electronics. What do I use to control the temp?

Try this first:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

If that doesn't work, buy a Johnson or Ranco temperature controller. If you're no good with electronics, you might want to buy one that comes pre-wired.

Also, start looking into a PC fan to circulate air inside the keezer. It helps to keep your lines and your taps at the same temp as the beer, which helps avoid foamy pours.

Try this first:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

If that doesn't work, buy a Johnson or Ranco temperature controller. If you're no good with electronics, you might want to buy one that comes pre-wired.

Also, start looking into a PC fan to circulate air inside the keezer. It helps to keep your lines and your taps at the same temp as the beer, which helps avoid foamy pours.

Wow, what an awesome thread. Alright, parts are on order. Going to finish the collar this week and then the building continues. Going to play with this temp in the meantime!

Alright. I have done some editing. I am going without the Sankey right now, because a few local craft breweries will fill corney's. Check this list out, do I have everything for the 2 ball lock corny's? Except the manifold for the co2.

8-22-2012 9-29-29 AM.jpg

mringo17 said:
I am building my first keezer. Just bought my 7.0 cu foot Kenmore freezer today and starting to build the collar. I am trying to see what conversion kits are needed for the build. My problem is I cannot find one that will setup for two taps, one for a corny and one for a standard sanke. Where can I find out what I need so I have a complete list of all the parts?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to sharing my keezer build on here!

Going to build a keezer myself, how much did you pay for the kenmore and how many kegs will fit with and without collar?
Thanks!

Going to build a keezer myself, how much did you pay for the kenmore and how many kegs will fit with and without collar?
Thanks!

I got the freezer for $180 at Sears. Think it will fit 3 on the floor, none on the hump with no collar - think the total will be 5 with collar. I am only starting with 2 taps and room to lager on the hump.

Had to take a little break with the birth if my frst child, but I'm back! Just finished the collar. Stain and poly, the. The lid goes on.
All parts are here. Two beers naturally carbing in kegs!

image-2755852526.jpg

image-3814019005.jpg

Yeah, I have a dark stain/poly for the sides that are pine 2x6. I Faced the collar with a Mahogany piece to give it a good look, and that will just get 2 poly coats this weekend.

Hey man, looking good! I'm almost at the same point as you but am hung up on how to attach the collar. Howd you go about it?

Back