First All Grain tomorrow Am I missing anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
OK doing BierMuncher (I think it was his) Centennial Blonde recipe tomorrow. Here is my Plan.

I'm pretty sure I got a good plan and have it printed out so I don't miss anything. Here are my few questions.

- I have a converted keg , a smaller aluminium pot, and a 10gal cooler tun. I plan on heating the initial mash in water (5.5 gal) in my aluminum pot to 171 for a 150 degree mash temp so I can pour it instead of having to drain it into the tun. This is assuming 70deg grain and 0.3 tun thermal capacity. Did this in ProMash so I feel pretty good about it.

- I'm then going to need 9.5 gallons of sparge water. I will have to heat this in the keggle. It is going to be tough to dump so I'm going to drain it into the tun out the ball valve. I figure since it is sparge water if I lose a few degrees while draining not a big deal. I plan on 170 sparge water to start with, and doing 2 half and half batch sparges. Does this sound ok?

- Lastly I plan on about 13 gal into the boil for a 10 gal batch. I'm going to have to drain the runnings into several 5 gal buckets and them pour them into the keggle when I'm done sparging, but since I will then boil it I figure I don't have to worry about being super sanitary here. Also no problem with aeration of the pre boiled work by dumping it in the keg. Right?

Anyway probably just nerves of doing my first All Grain as a 10 gallon batch and feeling like I have no idea what I'm doing.

Even if you do get some dissolved O2 into the wort, the boil will drive it off. Sounds like you have a good plan here. Try to take some notes along the way to help you become more efficient on your next brew day and dont forget to RDWHAHB :mug:

Back