Force carbonation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been having trouble force carbonating my beer.

I have now ruined too many batches by over carbonating them.

I have been using this http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

The thing is that it does not say how long it takes.

I have had it hooked up for two weeks and at first it is all right. But then later the beer starts so get that sparkling water sourness to it. And some have become undrinkable. In those I can even smell the CO2

So for how long do you leave the kegs hooked up to the gas?

Hi everyone.

I have had it hooked up for two weeks and at first it is all right. But then later the beer starts so get that sparkling water sourness to it. And some have become undrinkable. In those I can even smell the CO2

It takes about 10-14 days to fully carb up. What do you have yours set to, to get so much co2 into the beer? It sounds like "carbonic acid bite", from being overcarbed.

And if you set to the correct pressure and temperature for the carbonation level you wish to achieve, you leave the keg hooked up to the gas until it is gone.

Hi everyone.

You are supposed to leave them on constantly. The chart shows the vols of CO2 at equilibrium. That's why they don't show a time. My best guess is that you are reading the chart or your regulator wrong.

You are supposed to leave them on constantly. The chart shows the vols of CO2 at equilibrium. That's why they don't show a time. My best guess is that you are reading the chart or your regulator wrong.

Or the beer temperature is getting lower while the CO2 is at the same pressure, resulting in over-carbonation.

IME, it takes (as mentioned by Yooper) 10-14 days (or more) to carbonate at serving pressure. I typically plan on 2-3 weeks from when the fully chilled beer is put on gas before I pull a pint.

BTW, IF it does come out over carbonated this way, you CAN correct it. Simply disconnect the gas fitting from the keg, or turn off that line on the manifold, and vent it 2-4 times a day for 2-3 days. That's a starting point, your brew might require more time to equalize.

BTW, I would recommend getting a solid way to get the temperature of the beer in the keg. Right now, I have a sensor connected to a keg, with insulation covering it, with the display outside the fridge. This gives me a solid idea of the actual brew temperature in the keg. I've also been using thermometer strips on the kegs, that read in the range good for this application. Personally, I like being able to see the temperature without having to open up the brew fridge (and effecting the reading).

I put my kegs on 30psi for 36-48hrs tasting after 36 and busting it down to serving pressure (usually 8-9psi) when it gets close. They usually settle in by the third or fourth day. Cheers!

I have a good temp controlled chest freezer so Im good on the temp side.

I how ever am doubtful of my pressure regulator and will invest in a new one before carbing the batches I have fermenting now (aromatic xmas ale and double choc robust porter)

I am sure I am reading the chart right.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Splurge on a good regulator the first time and you won't have to re-buy or worry about it. Taprite regulators go for about $100, but they're solid and worth it IMO

1)Chill the kegged beer to the correct temperature.
2)Find the correct pressure based on the chart, set regulator accordingly.
3)Agitate the keg for ~10 minutes (I prefer the rolling under foot method) with CO2 hooked up. You will know when you are done because the regulator will stop humming and you will hear no more bubbles going into the keg.
4)Call it a day, enjoy a homebrew and pat yourself on the back for saving yourself 13 days.

Overcarbonation is impossible with this method, because your temperatures and pressures are set correctly. The reason it works so fast is that you are dynamically bringing new beer to the surface to be permeated by the gas. Cheers!

I'm a bit skeptical that 10 minutes of gentle agitation at chart pressure is enough to achieve equilibrium. One way to test it is to remove the gas line directly after your done, then come back the next day with a pressure gauge on a QD. If it's still at chart pressure, you're right.

I also am a firm believer in the set it and forget it for 1-2 weeks. I have overcarbed and it takes a while to get it back the way it should be. A huge problem With carbing fast is even if you get the co2 level correct you still have a green beer. I have noticed that when I do carb the beer fast the beer definitely has over powering flavors until it sits for a while.

Force carb works. 8 min with gas side down at 30 and role. Don't forget to let beer sit for a day. Vent and recharge at 30 during this time to get rid of carbonic acid. Oh yes, the beer must be just above freezing for best results.

I knew I should have added "vigorous" to the instructions. Gentle will require 15-20 minutes. It works, been doing this for years. And yes, I do double check the pressures with a gauge I have rigged up for that purpose (along with bleeding off excess pressure or using one of those little keg chargers). Try it guys, you will like it.

Set it and forget it definitely works. Always. Never fail.

That said, I'm not set up for it in my kegerator or in my brain. If I can carb in six hours, why not? If the beer is green and doesn't taste right going into the carbonation stage then there is something wrong earlier on that needs fixing.

Force carb works. 8 min with gas side down at 30 and role. Don't forget to let beer sit for a day. Vent and recharge at 30 during this time to get rid of carbonic acid. Oh yes, the beer must be just above freezing for best results.

So the carbonic acid is suspended above the beer? Not mixed in with the beer?

So the carbonic acid is suspended above the beer? Not mixed in with the beer?

No, the venting is to remove the excess CO2 from the keg that's in there due to the rapid forced method. The excess CO2 pressure will over carbonate the brew, giving the carbonic acid 'bite' to the keg. IMO, it's [rapid forced carbonation method] more pain than it's worth. Plus, not many keep their homebrew 'just above freezing' at any time. I keep mine at about 40F once in the brew fridge. Using the slower method means I simply connect the keg to the gas feed, once it's been chilled, and walk away. About two weeks later, it's carbonated/ready for drinking. Having enough space, and a sufficient pipeline means I can easily wait for it to carbonate this way. I have a spot in the brew fridge for a keg to carbonate actually (space for 4 kegs, but there taps in the door).

I have brewed 160 gallons of beer this year...... All have been kegged, carbed, and bottled with a beer gun. My chest freezer is set to 35*, my regulator is set to 10psi, I shake the heck out of it for about 10 minutes leave it in the freezer for a day, come back shake it again, let it sit for an hour and bottle. Ive never had an under carbed or over carbed beer. Personally set it and forget it is sometimes to long for me.

Latest posts

Back