Brew Rig/Sculpture Evolution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapa

Reaction score
My rig has changed dramatically since I first started brewing, and while I don't have pics at every stage, including when I first started with my few extract batches, here are some pics from the evolution of my all-grain setup. I'll post more as I add-on.

To get started in all-grain I bought a few turkey fryers incl pots off craigslist. Then converted this cooler to a MLT. I had trouble with heat/efficiency with this cooler though. Also turkey fryer burners seem to munch your propane.
IMG00223-20101016-1719.jpg

This is the new MLT that is bigger and holds heat much better.
cooler.jpg

I bought the QDs, water filter, nozzle, and potable hose for simple water use.
IMG_4471.jpg

Converted 2 Sanke Kegs and ordered camlock QDs from BargainFittings.
Unnamed.jpg

IMG00221-20101014-2135.jpg

IMG00227-20101021-1102.jpg

Here is the new 2 keg - cooler MLT gravity setup. Had leaks in the fittings on this round. Didn't get a good enough hole bored for the bulkhead.
IMG_4392.jpg

Ordered a march pump, and built a make-shift stand while we waited for the HLT to heat up. Also got a new burner - a Bayou SQ-14. Wow...is that thing efficient!! I will definitely be purchasing a 2nd one. The convenience of QDs and a pump is irreplaceable! You can also see the old MLT being used as a stand for the new one :)
IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

My recent brew day on this rig was awesome! I'm looking forward to having "more efficient" brew days in the future. The next things I have in mind are getting the mash tun on an official stand, that has some kind of swing arm and kick stand, for better drainage. Also want to eventually put some planning into a new stand where I can mount the burners, pump etc. Either way, I'm digging this setup. Maybe I'll just paint the wood stand for now.

IMO, you are on the right path. Looking good so far, but FYI, I see more changes coming in the near future, but you knew that right? Evolution gives it away. Most of us have evolved. Not all, but most.

Thanks! Yeah there are definitely LOTS more upgrades in the future for me, I'm just glad to have this initial stage of plans into action, which was the functionality and convenience of a single tier, pump driven 10g system. No lifting kegs or transferring fluid via buckets/pitchers. Sight glasses, therm and QDs were great additions as well.

Also I finally got some defoamer so the boil was VERY well behaved.

Ill be getting a 2nd SQ-14 sooner than later too, that thing is rockin!

Setting up 1 gas line with individual valves and running my pump to a switch is also in the cards, but that'll come when I get a full stand. Thinking about just getting one from Pinup, since I'd rather have something nice & welded.

Thanks for checking it out. We should have an official rig evolution thread. It'd be interesting to see how others have evolved.

Looking nice. You bascially ordered all the same parts I just ordered from bargainfittings. Glad to see they have worked well for you.

Looking nice. You bascially ordered all the same parts I just ordered from bargainfittings. Glad to see they have worked well for you.

Yeah, they are awesome! Just make sure you bore out your hole for the bulkheads(assuming you haven't installed your weldless bulkheads yet) enough that the nipple slides right in(you don't want it to thread in) and you should be good to go. That was my main mistake on the first installation.

Also the street elbows will save you from needing an additional nipple, to attach to the hose. The first pair I bought were female to female 1/2 elbows, then I put a male to male nipple in one side, and then the silicone hose. The street elbows pretty much do exactly that, without an additional fitting.

The camlock QD's are awesome!!

I will be soldering in couplings so no weldless bulk heads. I'm glad the street elbows are working well for you. I got the idea for those from BobbyM.

I will be soldering in couplings so no weldless bulk heads. I'm glad the street elbows are working well for you. I got the idea for those from BobbyM.

Right on. I put mine together referencing Bobby M's videos also. Of course I got my sight glass/therm combos from him as well.

Back