Running beer lines from Keezer to taps in house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noid1037

Reaction score
I am wondering what most of you experinced gents and ladies do to keep the lines cold with a 8 to 9 foot run in 3/16" beer lines. In the past I have used the split pipe formed foam and taped them typically put around the copper pipes and such. I have seen the glycol systems and the cooled air setups (I dont think I ready to take the plunge on that).
I am looking for outside the box ideas that are proven, otherwise its back to the split foam again, which works okay.

There are two beer lines that run to the taps.

The keezer project came together pretty nice, it replaced two old kegerators in the garage. I am being even more green now and think of the environment. :eek:

I wish there was a central location with just photos of keezers, another of colling setups and one for kegerators. The moderators and webmaster do a great job, just a simple suggestion. A picture gallery for all the work everyone has done.

Thanks all and keep on swilling!

Hi Noid,
From my research for the project I did, I have found several easy ways, and a few more difficult ways of keeping beer lines cold.

To summarize into categories:
Non Mechanical:
- Insulate the crap out of your lines, and enjoy a warm first pour every time.

A little handy:
- If it's a fixed run and won't flex, install a 2" or bigger PVC pipe to run your lines in. Install a 1" or so flexible plastic conduit inside that pipe, all the way to your tower, and blow cold air from the keezer through the little pipe. (This has great reviews in the forums) You have to get a project box and a computer fan. Something like this

Get out the tools:
- Drop a $20 pond pump into a corny of water in your keezer. Pump it through some lines in your trunk to the taps, where it turns around and goes back to the corny. **Simple, but use copper for the coolant if you can. Better heat transfer.

I could do it easier, but wth right?!?:
- Any of many designs here, from cannibalizing an air conditioner, to building a heat exchanger (what I did), to any other NASA cross bred with Red Green crapped out a Steve Erkel type contraption for chilling a coolant of some sort, pumped through the lines going to your tap.

FWIW
I recommend number 2 for it's simplicity, low cost, and (from what I've read here) effectiveness.

Back